Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

My Monte Engine Fire

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Photobucket
Default My Monte Engine Fire

Yes, i had an engine fire in the monte. Lucky me, it happened in front of my house.

-=Story=-
well, since i took my monte off insurance, it sits in front of my house. so every week or so, i start it up to keep everything in working order. but yesterday was different. i started my monte, and let it sit idling for a min, well i was smelling a strong gas smell, so i looked under my car. i saw a puddle of purple gas on the ground right under my feet, so i was like " HOLY ****, i quickly turned off the car and poped the hood, gas was everywhere. so i looked a but closer and thats when all hell broke loose. one single drop of gas hit the header and ignited the gas on the intake, and on the ground. flames were everywhere. i ran inside the house and turned on the spicket water quickly, ran back outside, grabbed the hose, and ran towards thhe flames. i sprayed under the car to extinguish and delude the gas that was puddled on the ground, after that was out and wasn't igniting anymore i sprayed under the hood. that was a lil fire on the intake and next to the distributor. as soon as that was out, i cut the negitive battery cable. then i looked and accesed the damages. all my wires under the hood on the passenger side of the distributor were toast, including the spark plug wires. the fuel filter and fuel line cause the gas leak. the gas line ruptured and the glass fuel filter cracked. carb was still good and i might need a distributor cap. Also from the puddle of gas on the ground, the paint blistered and cracked on the Left Front Door and Fender. Im going to order a painless kit and rewire the complete car. also im buying the fuel cell, electric fuel pump, and complete braided lines for it. this will be the last time i have a fuel fire...

pics:

Old 10-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Default RE: My Monte Engine Fire

That could have been alot worse. Glad for your sake it wasn't.

I've never liked those glass fuel filters.

Tj

Old 10-19-2005, 07:55 PM

hey boost all in all you fared rather well when the first 78 i had went up it took out damed near everytign under the hood for wireing. I will never own a Holly carb again due to this. thanks to thier issues with a back fire threw the carb killing the blow off valve.
I would say your going to due it right that is a good thing im glad to see you didnt lose the house or the car in this whole thing.

Hope all gose well.

Old 10-20-2005, 04:31 PM

well, at least youre ok...