Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Fire Damaged Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Default Fire Damaged Supercharger

I didn't check to see if anyone else had asked a question about this, as I felt this isn't something that is probably brought up too often.

So anyway, I was browsing craigslist today, and found a 2000 GTP that had fire damage. I called the guy about it, and he said he wasn't sure about the shape of the supercharger and such, but he'd look this afternoon. I had never really considered supercharging, but having something that could be potentially pretty cheap and a group of people such as yourselves that are very knowledgable about it, I am now a bit more interested in it.

I understand the mechanics of supercharging, but have never looked at one of these units. I'm not even sure a 2000 GTP supercharger will fit my '02 SS. With this in mind, beyond warpage, what kind of damage could one of these units sustain in a fire? I don't know what type of seals these have, or it the rotor blades(?) are tipped with anything. Sorry for my ingnorance on this subject, but I'm curious now that this opportunity presents itself. Thanks.

-Adrian

Old 02-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Default RE: Fire Damaged Supercharger

There is alot of power to be gained by supercharging, but it is more complicated than pulling the plenum off and putting the supercharger on.

You WILL need a scanner and a bunch of mods to get this to run. Your engine has a much higher compression ratio so you have to worry about KR much more.

You will need the Heads, Fuel Rails, Injectors, Pullies, Throttle Body, and probably a bunch of micellaneous stuff.

I don't want to be a naysayer but if it was an engine fire I would skip it. If the engine is good, then I would pull the engine and transmission and swap them but he probably has more miles on them.

Turbo would be your better option, but it is not low cost.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Default RE: Fire Damaged Supercharger

Well low cost is the name of the game for me (or should I say my wife). I've spent the last 20 minutes or so reading the information on zzpeformance and all regarding therir l36 supercharging kits. So, as I understand it, the shortblock of the two engines is the same, but that's about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I should be able to take the whole upper end off of the l67, put it on my l36, and mechanically it should work. I just had my PCM reprogrammed by zzp, but I would have to have them reprogram that as well. I'm also assuming that the cam would be different for the L67. I've got a scanner already, so that would be no problem.

Again, I don't know the extent of the damage, but he said that the fire was actually caused by a short from the main battery cable. Kinda an unfortunate story actually; he said he was watching his daughter at a basketball tournament, someone came in and announced that a car was on fire in the parking lot, and he had to sit and watch it burn until the fire department arrived.

Anyway, this is all just spitballing, but I appreciate the responses.