Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

MCF Computer Experts (Java)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by burgundybullet
I just don't get it. My dads has the AVG free thing and when the update came up on the task bar so he did it. I don't understand this. lol
Looks like its up to you to inform him...If he doesnt know what it is dont do it!.....

Old 01-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I just don't get it. My dads has the AVG free thing and when the update came up on the task bar so he did it. I don't understand this. lol
Malicious code has been known to 'highjack' legitimate programs and/or their update feature. When you click on the 'legitimate' link to get the update you are redirected by the highjacked update feature to a different site where the undesirable software is downloaded to your computer. It may take effect immediately, it may be scheduled to activate at a later time/date or when a specific command is carried out. This is the exact reason I do not allow any program to update automatically. Firewalls and anti-virus programs allow these intrusions to go unchecked because the 'legitimate' program has permission to download and execute code. Anti-virus programs may catch it once it executes, but only if the virus signature is known and included in your most current update to the anti-virus program.

Set all of your programs to notify only of any updates available. When notified, do not click on the notification. Go directly to the product web site and verify an update is required. Download and install it from the web site.

IMO allowing any program to do an automatic update - even the OS - is an open invitation to have your computer compromised.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Look into Microsoft Essentials then.

I could potentially get your serials for other programs if needed, through school.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
IMO allowing any program to do an automatic update - even the OS - is an open invitation to have your computer compromised.
Thats only possible "IF"... you dont have the proper defense programs in place to prevent that from happening...IMO.....

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-14-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Angie:
I too have AT&T as my internet provider. How long ago did you have this issue?

I have Malwarebytes Pro as well as Microsoft security Essentials that constantly runs in the background.(Monitoring my system) and havent experienced any issues. Yet i have had several java updates. I have my computer set to update it automatically regardless of what program it is.
But then again mine is on 24 hrs a day. To do its updates and virus scans when im not useing it. Usually around 3am.
The problems developed about a month ago - it took us a while to realize we couldn't fix it, then I got frustrated with being told "DVD Decoder needed" every time I tried to watch a movie on the computer, plus we had to go to three separate pages to get to our daily emails. It took two hours on the phone with AT&T to straighten it out.

We have McAfee security that runs a scan every time we turn the computer on. We turn it off when we're not using it cuz I thought it wasted electricity. Does it?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:55 AM

[QUOTE=trewyn15;520237]AVG has an Anti-Virus for free, Windows also has free anti-virus. If you guys aren't the best with computers it may be a smart idea to download one of those programs so if you don't know what you're downloading, those programs have an idea and will notify you if you are making a mistake.

Ours runs Windows 7 and we have McAfee security that scans the system every time we turn on the computer. Do we need Windows anti-virus too? How do we get it? Thanks for helping someone who is NOT the best with computers!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Angie, I don't know why you had to go to so many pages to access your email, but your decoder issue could probably have been solved using the Troubleshooting feature in the Action Center. Win7 is pretty good at resolving issues like that.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I honestly wouldn't install ANYTHING anymore. Microsoft Security Essentials is basically all you ever need now.

No need for AVG (I would NEVER recommend Symantec or McAfee).

Don't do things you shouldn't on the internet, don't download illegal things, don't visit certain sites, don't click on suspicious links, and you should be fine on a computer.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Space
January 13, 2013, 5:43 pm

<LI class=nytLogo>
</TIME>Serious Flaw in Java Software Is Found, Then Patched

<ADDRESS class="byline author vcard">By NICOLE PERLROTH</ADDRESS></HEADER>6:53 p.m. | Updated Oracle fixed a security flaw in its Java software on Sunday, after the Department of Homeland Security warned users to disable Java software completely, citing a security hole that allows hackers to take control of their machines.
“Java 7 Update 10 and earlier contain an unspecified vulnerability that can allow a remote, unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code on a vulnerable system,” the agency said in an alert issued last week. “This and previous Java vulnerabilities have been widely targeted by attackers, and new Java vulnerabilities are likely to be discovered.”

A European security researcher who blogs under the name Kafeine first discovered the vulnerability and posted it to his blog on Thursday. The homeland security agency said that it had confirmed that Microsoft Windows, Apple’s Mac OS X and Linux platforms were all affected and that it was “unaware of a practical solution to this problem.” In a rare alert on Thursday evening, the agency recommended that users disable Java in their Web browsers.
On Sunday, Oracle released a patch for the security hole.

Apple stopped shipping its computers with Java enabled last year, largely because of security concerns, but said it was remotely disabling the Java 7 plug-in on Macs where it had already been installed. Windows and Linux users can disable Java by following this guide on java.com.

Oracle did not return a request for comment on Sunday.
Java, a widely used programming language that runs on more than 850 million personal computers, has been the source of security problems before. Last April, hackers exploited a Java vulnerability to infect more than half a million Apple computers with a vicious form of malware in what was the largest-scale attack on the OS X operating system to date.

A month later, the Shadowserver Foundation, a nonprofit group that tracks cyber threats, discovered that hackers had used a Java security hole to infect visitors to several foreign policy Web sites, including the Web sites of the International Institute for Counter-Terrorism, Amnesty International Hong Kong and the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The exploit was particularly disconcerting because it let attackers download a malicious program onto its victims’ machines without prompting. Users did not even have to click on a malicious link for their computers to be infected. The program simply downloaded itself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope they find a fix or block to this problem

So I decided to check what Java I was running on my computer and it says Java 6 Update 3. Does this mean that I am not effected by this here loophole?

Old 01-15-2013, 05:07 PM

Hi `Ben,
I'm sorry I can't answer, but hopefully one of our expert computer member's can ?

Below is the best I could do for you...Good Luck
Java Help Center

<CITE style="FONT-STYLE: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,153,51)">www.java.com/en/download/help/</CITE>
Java Help Center - Get help for Java and running java applets. ... Welcome to theJava.com Help Center, which describes solutions for issues you might ...
Installing Java - How do I resolve problems ... - Support Options - Top Issues