Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

MCF Computer Experts (Java)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question MCF Computer Experts (Java)

Hi Member's,
I'm not a computer expert 4-Sure & am self taught..

Does anyone know about this problem(s) & should our member's be concerned ?

Please post your opinions/warnings & `if we should be concerned about it ? Thank You!

<LI class=g>

1. U.S. Agency Warns of Java Software Problem - NYTimes.com < Click to view
  2. <CITE>bits.blogs.nytimes.com/.../u-s-agency-warns-of-java-software-proble...</CITE>Cached
  3. 15 hours ago – The vulnerability was serious enough for the Department of Homeland Security to advise all users of Microsoft Windows, Apple's Mac OS X and ...
  1. Get more results from the past 24 hours

2. Java Security Problem Will Be Fixed 'Shortly,' Oracle Says After ... < Click to view

<CITE>www.huffingtonpost.com/.../java-security-problem_n_2464656.html</CITE>Cached

20 hours ago – NEW YORK (AP) — Oracle Corp. says it will soon fix a flaw in its Java software that caught the attention of the U.S. Department of Homeland ...

Get more results from the past 24 hours

3. U.S. warns on Java software as security concerns escalate ... < Click to view

<CITE>Chicago Tribune: Chicago breaking news, sports, business, entertainment, weather and traffic - chicagotribune.comNews</CITE>

2 days ago – Hackers have figured out how to exploit Java to install malicious ... "We are currently unaware of a practical solution to this problem," the ...

Last edited by Space; 01-14-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 AM

The problem with Java that I have encountered is there will be a pop up on the bottom right of your screen on the taskbar saying that Java needs updating. After you do the so called update you will have problems because it downloads a virus or something. My dad did that like 2 months ago and his laptop became unusable so he took it in to a friend of his who has a computer shop and he fixed it. That was when he told my dad what had happened. This also happened to another one of my dads friends as well. That is all I really know about it.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 AM

Thanks `Ben for your post. I sure hope they get a fix for this problem & that none of our member's have a problem.

Wish you & readers a safe/happy day with no problems online or on the MCF

Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by burgundybullet
The problem with Java that I have encountered is there will be a pop up on the bottom right of your screen on the taskbar saying that Java needs updating. After you do the so called update you will have problems because it downloads a virus or something. My dad did that like 2 months ago and his laptop became unusable so he took it in to a friend of his who has a computer shop and he fixed it. That was when he told my dad what had happened. This also happened to another one of my dads friends as well. That is all I really know about it.
The same thing happened to my computer....someone told us to download updates when they were available, we "updated" Java, and for months had problems with the computer programs we'd been using. Finally our AT&T Help Line fixed it - we couldn't access emails the usual way or play DVD's, among other things. Thanks so much for posting this explanation - now I know where the trouble came from and what to avoid in the future!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Possum
The same thing happened to my computer....someone told us to download updates when they were available, we "updated" Java, and for months had problems with the computer programs we'd been using. Finally our AT&T Help Line fixed it - we couldn't access emails the usual way or play DVD's, among other things. Thanks so much for posting this explanation - now I know where the trouble came from and what to avoid in the future!
Angie:
I too have AT&T as my internet provider. How long ago did you have this issue?

I have Malwarebytes Pro as well as Microsoft security Essentials that constantly runs in the background.(Monitoring my system) and havent experienced any issues. Yet i have had several java updates. I have my computer set to update it automatically regardless of what program it is.
But then again mine is on 24 hrs a day. To do its updates and virus scans when im not useing it. Usually around 3am.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Possum
My laptop has had it popping up for the past 3 months and honestly at first I was just to lazy to update it and then I heard what happened to my dads laptop so I haven't updated mine. I really don't know what I should do to get rid of that and haven't had much time to look into it so I just hit the X button on the corner and go about my business. I think its starting to effect my computer anyway though.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

AVG has an Anti-Virus for free, Windows also has free anti-virus. If you guys aren't the best with computers it may be a smart idea to download one of those programs so if you don't know what you're downloading, those programs have an idea and will notify you if you are making a mistake.

I update my computer on a regular basis - including java, I've had no issues.

Pop-ups - Don't click them
Uncertified downloads - Don't download them

If you're smart with your downloading and clicking you shouldn't have an issue.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 AM

I currently run AVG on my computer but the issue lies within how the Java program was written I believe. It is because you have Java it uses it as a fake front. Its not like a pop-up pop-up but rather the symbol on the task bar has a notification that it is out of date or whatever. At least in my case. So it looks like it is the real thing as in the past I have had other programs do the same and never had a problem with anything afterwords.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 AM

..Thanks `Mitch & Member's for your posts/advice on this subject...

It's a good investment of time to protect your computer from threats by hackers...I was surprised to see Homeland Security give out warning about `Java. I hope they get a solution soon.

We must get rid of the Bad People all there that want to invade of computer's/life 4-Sure...

Wish everyone a safe running computer & connection to the MCF

Old 01-14-2013, 09:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Whenever I get a message saying software needs updating I never click on the link. I always go directly to the web site of the product to see if an update is available and needed...no matter what program it is.

Quick Reply: MCF Computer Experts (Java)