Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

MCF Computer Experts (Java)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Personally:
AVG is exactly what it is a "free" version...Thus its not the full version...
which doesnt fully protect your computer.

But in my opinion, It has so much stuff running in the background...That it will slow your machine way down...also has given false alerts....Thats my experience with "Free" software...

But a program that I have found that cleans your computer well of ,historys,temp files etc..its called..."CCleaner"...its also free.
But its "not" an anti-virus program.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-14-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Whenever I get a message saying software needs updating I never click on the link. I always go directly to the web site of the product to see if an update is available and needed...no matter what program it is.

Thanks `Mike, that's great advice & a wise thing to do

It's sad that we can't trust on the web or in life & must do everything we can to prove the integrity of a site or a person.

I'd be lost without the web & it's unlimited resources..
I'd rather `be safe, then sorry & I believe it pays to do your homework before you download anything on the `web...

Yes, I get paranoid with these `Bad Invader's of our web space 4-Sure...Wish everyone good protection

Last edited by Space; 01-14-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 AM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by burgundybullet
I currently run AVG on my computer but the issue lies within how the Java program was written I believe. It is because you have Java it uses it as a fake front. Its not like a pop-up pop-up but rather the symbol on the task bar has a notification that it is out of date or whatever. At least in my case. So it looks like it is the real thing as in the past I have had other programs do the same and never had a problem with anything afterwords.
That issue also depends on what version of windows your running..and alerts show up in different ways.

Im currently useing windows 7...
So, I dont really get any alerts....with the exception of when theres been a windows update.

There fore I highly recommend purchaseing a full verson Anti-Virus program...

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-14-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:08 AM

I've got 7 as well. So with 7 it only shows alerts with windows update and not anyother program?

Old 01-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Im currently useing windows 7...
So, I dont really get any alerts....with the exception of when theres been a windows update.
I won't allow Windows to do an automatic update, or any other program. That is how you get infected. Set your preference to notify of an update only.

I've got 7 as well. So with 7 it only shows alerts with windows update and not anyother program?
Win7 allows other programs to utilize the task bar for update notification. I get notifications all the time for various programs I run and I have Win7 as an OS.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:17 AM

5 Year Member

Like I said in a previous post:

My laptops on 24/7 and mine only alerts me when theres been a windows update done.

All the rest of my updates,regardless of what software program it is, Is set to update around 3am when im not useing it.... I also have my anti-virus programs set to run immediately after the updates have finished...
So if there was to be a infected program that was downloaded from an update....My Anti-virus program would then catch it and delete it completely from my computer... Thats why I highly recommend purchaseing a "full" version anti-virus program.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

AVG's free version is actually a full anti-virus program, their full version just has more 'paid' features.

Java updates will still be shown down on the task bar and they'll all be a true update as long as you have a anti-virus/malware etc program... Also, don't torrent if you don't know 100% of what you're doing, along with downloading programs like the facebook smileys. Those all have malware and such things that WILL harm your computer if you are unaware of their capabilities and what they can do.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 AM

January 13, 2013, 5:43 pm

<LI class=nytLogo>
</TIME>Serious Flaw in Java Software Is Found, Then Patched

<ADDRESS class="byline author vcard">By NICOLE PERLROTH</ADDRESS></HEADER>6:53 p.m. | Updated Oracle fixed a security flaw in its Java software on Sunday, after the Department of Homeland Security warned users to disable Java software completely, citing a security hole that allows hackers to take control of their machines.
“Java 7 Update 10 and earlier contain an unspecified vulnerability that can allow a remote, unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code on a vulnerable system,” the agency said in an alert issued last week. “This and previous Java vulnerabilities have been widely targeted by attackers, and new Java vulnerabilities are likely to be discovered.”

A European security researcher who blogs under the name Kafeine first discovered the vulnerability and posted it to his blog on Thursday. The homeland security agency said that it had confirmed that Microsoft Windows, Apple’s Mac OS X and Linux platforms were all affected and that it was “unaware of a practical solution to this problem.” In a rare alert on Thursday evening, the agency recommended that users disable Java in their Web browsers.
On Sunday, Oracle released a patch for the security hole.

Apple stopped shipping its computers with Java enabled last year, largely because of security concerns, but said it was remotely disabling the Java 7 plug-in on Macs where it had already been installed. Windows and Linux users can disable Java by following this guide on java.com.

Oracle did not return a request for comment on Sunday.
Java, a widely used programming language that runs on more than 850 million personal computers, has been the source of security problems before. Last April, hackers exploited a Java vulnerability to infect more than half a million Apple computers with a vicious form of malware in what was the largest-scale attack on the OS X operating system to date.

A month later, the Shadowserver Foundation, a nonprofit group that tracks cyber threats, discovered that hackers had used a Java security hole to infect visitors to several foreign policy Web sites, including the Web sites of the International Institute for Counter-Terrorism, Amnesty International Hong Kong and the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The exploit was particularly disconcerting because it let attackers download a malicious program onto its victims’ machines without prompting. Users did not even have to click on a malicious link for their computers to be infected. The program simply downloaded itself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope they find a fix or block to this problem

Last edited by Space; 01-14-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
AVG's free version is actually a full anti-virus program, their full version just has more 'paid' features.

Java updates will still be shown down on the task bar and they'll all be a true update as long as you have a anti-virus/malware etc program... Also, don't torrent if you don't know 100% of what you're doing, along with downloading programs like the facebook smileys. Those all have malware and such things that WILL harm your computer if you are unaware of their capabilities and what they can do.
I dont use facebook or any other type programs...
For me Im not a super surfer....

I mostly hang out here on the forum..or do emails...Thats about the extent of my computer usage.....
with the occasional exception when the mrs and I are vacationing in our camper and use either mapquest.....Or checking attractions in different states as we travel....

Thus im less likely to get any viruses etc....
But I do have a cpl of acquaintences that own computer repair companys and build computers that
have a pluthra of knowledge that also keeps my computer safe from invasions....viruses etc....
So, the knowledge I do have comes from them....
I am by no means a computer savy expert... Im lucky to be able to even use one LOL....

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-14-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15

I just don't get it. My dads has the AVG free thing and when the update came up on the task bar so he did it. I don't understand this. lol

Quick Reply: MCF Computer Experts (Java)