Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Magic Tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Magic Tank

Saw this while browsing the web, really wonder whats in it. I feel like its not something i want to be putting in my car (not that i would, i dont run out of gas)

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...140045908.html

Old 06-16-2014, 10:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I could see having one of those on hand if your cruising long haul on a motorcycle as they don't have very large gas tanks, at least my last two harley's didn't, one was a sportster and it seemed everytime I turned around I had to put gas in it, although on the positive by the time it needed gas I was ready to take a break anyways.

I personally don't allow my vehicles to get under a quarter tank, as I hate the thought of the pump picking up all the sludge in the bottom of the tank, and in winter time I try not to let them get below half a tank, cause you just never know if you are going to end up in the ditch and need the car running to have some heat.

It would serve a purpose to have one, but I would question the shelf life, and like the article says it needs the engine to be warm in order to work it's mojo so you have to actually run out of gas to be able to use it

Old 06-16-2014, 10:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As the guy said, it's probably a solvent or a grade of gas that can run the engine (maybe it's alcohol). Engines can run on alternate fuel as long as it's combustible enough (Doc brown tried to get the Back to the Future DeLorean to run on hard liquor from the saloon).

It probably requires a hot engine so it can run effectively.

As for the "stuff" in the tank, modern fuels sold in the U.S. are very clean these days. You almost don't need a fuel filter. I just had a tank out of a '89 Firebird last summer or the summer before, clean inside. And I recently had the tank from a '00 Grand Am (with 170K on it) and again, clean inside. In cars, any debris ultimately sits in the bottom of the tank unless it's stirred up (and there should be little to none in there unless your tank or tank seal is compromised).

Personally, as the guy said, just don't ignore your fuel indicator. And if the gauge fails to work, start watching mileage on your trip-odometer or your odometer. And if all those are broke, well, maybe it's time for a new car

Old 06-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I usually never let my car get below a quarter, generally thats fillup time for me. My 97 was fun, gas gauge was only accurate for the first 1/4 tank, after that it was a guessing game