General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Filter on gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Default Filter on gas tank

So here's the problem: when I go to fill up my gas tank, the trigger on the nozzle keeps kicking off, like my tank is full. So I have to stand there and hold it just lightly so the gas basically crawls into my car. I was told there is a filter on the gas tank, that was probably clogged, since I do some driving on gravel roads. The guy wasn't sure exactly but he thought it was on the top of the tank. Anyone know anything about this?

Old 04-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Default RE: Filter on gas tank

I have never heard of a filter on the fill up neck
Does this just happen at one gas station or every gas station that you go to?

Old 04-07-2007, 11:26 PM

It happens at all of them. Same way everytime.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yah, thats wierd, because i've never heard of a filter on top of the gas tank either and i work for a parts store...i've never been asked for that before....possibly there's a screen @ the bottom of the filler neck going into the tank..thats all i can think of

Old 04-08-2007, 01:00 PM

There isn't a filter, but there is a pressure release valve for the evaporative emissions system. This is how the fuel nozzle knows that the tank is full. It's complicated to explain on the internet, but it's there. It's probably located on the fuel filler neck. I'm not sure about the ones on the Monte Carlos, but if you look up at the fuel filler neck from under the car, you should be able to see it (it will probably have some rubber or plastic lines going to it from the tank). Look for a hole in the bottom of it about the size of a dime. Sometimes, spiders crawl in there and make a web. Then the pressure in the tank cannot be released as fuel is put in, so the nozzle thinks it is full.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:31 PM

now see i would have never knowen to think of that thing as doing it LOL
I just pull the nozzel out of the tanksome and it seems to work better. The wies car dose this all the time to me but for her it dont So go figure that oen out LOL

But also another option to fix this is take it to a .25. car wash and spray up and around the tank with the high presure to clean off everything real well to hpopefully get the spiders out of there also.
Or just the dirt.

good luck let us know what ya find out on it.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:26 PM

Well I crawled under there yesterday. I think I found it, but I'm not 100% sure. Tried blowing it out with an air hose, but it was really hard to get to. I don't have a hoist or anything soit was pretty tight going. It would have been a lot easier with a hoist. I'll have to take it in if this didn't work.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: Mrrench

I have never heard of a filter on the fill up neck
Does this just happen at one gas station or every gas station that you go to?

For what its worth:

I've never found a gas station here in Southern California that has a filler that stays on the car.

Those black springy fume recycling thingies always push the nozzle back out.

I *ALWAYS* have to hold the nozzle in manually or it will pop out and scratch or dent the quarter panel.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:04 PM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

For what its worth:

I've never found a gas station here in Southern California that has a filler that stays on the car.

Those black springy fume recycling thingies always push the nozzle back out.

I *ALWAYS* have to hold the nozzle in manually or it will pop out and scratch or dent the quarter panel.
That would make me feel somewhat better, except you're in California, and I'm up here in North Dakota. And it's been 30 degrees for the last two weeks here. So everytime I fill I'm freezing my *ss and hands off.

PS. I filled up today on the way back to college, still isn't working.