Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

A loss in my neighborhood

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default A loss in my neighborhood

I recently learned that a neighbor to my father passed away yesterday. Her and her family has lived at their home longer then I've been alive (and I grew up right next door to them).
Her and her husband have always been considered friends of the family and good people to have in the neighborhood. Over the last couple of years, since their kids are grown and they are retired, they became snow birds and would leave for the winter. I think they just came home about a month ago.

The reason I feel the need to share this here was I learned after I bought my Monte Carlo, she is a bit of a Monte Carlo fan. After I bought mine she told me how she had one in, I believe the early 80's, and loved it (found it to be one of the most reliable cars she ever had). She told me when the new model came out in '00, she loved the way it looked and reminder her a lot of her old one. She wanted a 6th gen so much, that year, her and her husband bought a '00 SS (stuff I never knew until I bought my '04 Monte in '08). They still have the '00 SS and left it parked in the garage during the winter when they traveled to warmer climate (usually one of their kids ended up borrowing it during the winter for one reason or another).

Anycase, I'm sorry to learn of her passing yesterday. Again, sad news to loose good people in the neighborhood (and for this group, it's another Monte Carlo fan gone).

Old 05-10-2011, 10:03 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

thats a sad story but a cool story all at the same time. Sorry for your loss.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Default neighborhood

Reminds me of my old neighborhood. Everyone knew each other and looked out for one another, I do, miss it but it's turned into a run down section of town now and some of the people that I grew up with have either died or moved else where. However, I can understand your loss.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:50 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Sorry to hear it.

Your situation sounds similar to mine. The dad of a guy I grew up with passed about 12 days ago. I don't remember a time we weren't neighbors.

This man was a car guy. (Furds but still a car guy)
He tried for years to convince me Furds were better then Chevies. Furd and Chrysler had tighter tolerances on their bodies then GM did.

Just last summer at the weekly Dairy Queen cruise-in this man was there looking the cars over. He stopped to talk and told me, "I remember when you bought your Wagon." He recalled information my parents wouldn't remember unless I told them.

This man owned a '32 Furd B-model his dad bought new. It remains unrestored to this day.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Yeah, it's a sad story, I heard other stuff I'm not inclined to share that just makes it worse I feel (for her husband). The couple I'm talking about live next to my dad's and the item I forgot to mention is I live just up the road from my dad's (so it's all the same neighborhood).

As I said, i shared it here because out of all the years I knew them, I found it just odd to hear how much she loved her Monte Carlo (something I did not know until I bought mine).