Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Joke Of The .....WEEK

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:37 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Joke Of The .....WEEK

To me it's more like joke of the century.

If you read my thread "On The Lighter Side" I mentioned the local Chevy dealer found out the '03 Pace car needs the intake gasket replaced.

I phoned Chevy on friday afternoon and asked if they could offer me any help with this issue? Since the dealer wants $950 to do the intake and replace the driver side drive axil boot.

I got a call from a woman who said she was a district manager today. She wanted to know if the dealer had called me back and what they offered? I told her I hadn't heard from anyone so far? So she hangs up and like 5 minutes later calls me back. She tells me they will cover the cost of parts. But I have to cover the labor charges.

I told her this didn't help at all. Since the estimate labor cost was $715 of the $950 bill. (Parts cost was $189. Then there's tax on both the labor and the parts)

I don't mean to sound ungrateful. they could have told me, "Eat zhit and die you SOB!"

But would it kill them to at least cover half the cost of this repair? I'm sure they're aware of the intake gaskets going bad on 3100 and 3800 engines.

Friday the woman at Chevy told me the mileage on the car was in my favor. Today I get told, "Well the car does have close to 74,000 miles on it." by the other woman. So which is it? In my favor or not?

Old 11-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

you could always call back and mention that, as a US citizen, you are a majority shareholder in the company that employs her, and you expect to be treated as such then tell her if they dont wanna pay to fix it, you expect to find a '10 camaro parked in its place, free of charge. lol, i wish i could help you out, rj, but i think i would be more at a loss than you are right now.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That is a pretty hefty price, but the dealership always charges more anyway. It's not that hard to do a LIM gasket change to be honest, and it would save you a LOT of money.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:27 AM

Got pretty much the same type of run around with my Z28 a few years back. Recieved a recall for an A.I.R. pump that may not function properly(best recallection is that it's a smog/pollution thing), repeated postcards telling me of this recall and how I had to take my car in to perform up to standards. While I had it in I asked about the notorius LT1 intake leak. "Nope, can't/won't do it, was done by previous owner." "But it STILL leaks." "Well he needed to bring it back within a year to get it fixed." "He owned it another year an a half before I bought it." "Nope can't help." Called Chevrolet they said the same thing. Couldn't quite understand how GM was so bent out of shape over the A.I.R. Pump that MAY not work properly, but vital engine lubricant leaking out of the engine was no big deal. The stealership I can understand thought GM would give a flying flip about customer service. Things like that make it a little harder to buy GM next time around...

I also have gotten the same type of thing when buying. One dealership when they found out I had a trade and needed financing.... Ohhh, see that means more work for our office and we have to TRY and sell your trade. Next time went in cash in hand no trade (same dealer)... Well you see the banks gives us a kick-back for financing and generally we can make more money on the trade then we pay for it, most times even more then the profit on a new vehicle.

What are you gonna do???

Best of luck getting this thing worked out rj! I'll accept a victory for anyone, doesn't have to be me... be nice but doesn't have to be! :p

Old 11-10-2009, 07:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

RJ, that does suck man! I personally think that GM needs to recall all the 3100, 3400, and 3800 engines for this problem, and fix it! But that won't happen.

I have to say, as much as I agree it would be nice if they offered to at least pay for half, I am actually surprised they are paying for anything. At least $189 is better than nothing.

Sucks your in this situation at all, darn intake gaskets. It cost my parents just as much to fix the intake gasket on the Bonneville.