Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you change your own oil ?
Yes, I do it myself, so it's done right : )
76.32%
No, I have others do it!
23.68%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

how many on here change their own oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 09:10 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Are you happy with it overall? Any regrets?

Old 08-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
Are you happy with it overall? Any regrets?
I got mine after I saw two of them at a friends house , He owns a Concrete company and he said he checked out alot of lifts before he bought two for his house.. Only regret is I didn't make the ceiling higher but I can still get car 4 1/2 to 5 foot off ground..

Old 08-06-2011, 09:29 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well I'm 21 years old... but I think I can set up ramps, drive on to those, and be under the car with the oil coming out before I get a lift raised high enough to go under it....

You guys remind me of a thread we had on the Torino forum a while back.... it was nicknamed "The Quick Lube Horror Thread."

TorinoCobra.com - Torino and Cyclone Technical Forum - View topic - So I went for an oil change and...

I think my favorite is one on the second page where a guy has a 4 speed and they try to tell him his pan gasket is leaking, and they can put one on with a new filter for like $85... he had a manual, no pan gasket or filters....

Also, Ford had a 4 wheel drive once where the bolt that held the reverse gear in the transmission or something was right by the drain plug, and people who didn't pay attention would take the bolt out, something would go thump (the reverse gear), they'd wonder what just happene,d then take the other bolt out. The car will drive, but it won't have reverse. And you'd better not drive it so that gear doens't get it in the other parts of the transmission and wreck havok. IT costs $400 to get it fixed a LONG LONG time ago ( I think this was the 80s?)... and my Uncle Jerry took the bill down to the Jiffy Lube and the manager wrote a check... while he was there, a guy came out who had just done an oil change on one of those trucks and the same issue... the owner came up, and my Uncle told the manager he better just write that man a check for $400 as well.

The truck was brand new... first oil change.....

Also, I really think the whole 3000 mile oil change is a myth. Especially with synthetic. I have a 1968 Ford Torino owners manual, and the sticker for maintenance under the hood... both call for 6 month/6000 mile oil changes. The 4 cylinders were the ones that got hot quicker and needed more oil changes. Then, the quick lube places turend up, and the whole sell it as cheap insurance thing just caught on.

My parents ahd a '95 Suburban... changed hte oil whenever they dad felt like it or felt like telling me to do it.. I know he went 10,000 miles between some changes, yet it still went that far... engine was getting weak and gas mileage was gone by around 225,000 miles. All you can expect out of any vehicle in my opinion.....

Also, I do all my own maintenance.... as I always say, "If you let someone else do it, you don't know if they did a bad job or not, whereas if you do it yourself, you know."

Old 08-06-2011, 09:38 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

My car can't drive onto those ramps anymore without damaging the chin spoiler. I have to jack/jackstand EVERYTIME I do anything. I was going to recess my lift so I wouldn't have the same issue.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:01 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Then what you do is get a 2x8 and cut it off a few feet in length, set the board about halfway up the ramp, and use the board to get on top of the ramp

Old 08-06-2011, 11:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

3000 or 6000. You can tell by feel or smell & just looking at it. To see if it needs it. Alot of stop & go in the cities. More then likely do it. A lot of freeway driving. Not so much. The motors built now days are like Blueprinted motors back in the day. Tolerances are so close now that's why they last longer & run better. Most important is to keep the oil clean. Same with the transmission. NEVER EVER run anything on low fluids! Your just asking for trouble if you do. Clean oil & Clean filters.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

I do my own Mobil 1 5W 30 full Synthetic.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:39 PM

I've been doing oil changes on my cars since before they were mine! lol. My dad started me out at 10 doing oil changes so he didn't have to. I just sort of got used to doing it, so I don't see a reason to pay someone else to do it.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Outside of exhaust and transmission, I do ALL my own car repairs/maintenance. This way if something is done wrong I have ONE person to blame.

I know at least two mis-hap stories as a result of the kids not paying attention in a oil change facilities (both happened to be results from different dealership shops).

I change my oil between 3,000-5,000 miles. I also like to try and put as much clean oil in the new filter as I can before I spin it on. I use conventional oil in ALL my cars. So far, this system has worked GREAT (I am still driving a '94 Grand Am with 210,000+ miles on the original drivetrain, unless you count me changing the headgaskets as no longer original). The Grand Am still runs great for it's age and miles!

Last edited by The_Maniac; 08-07-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:21 PM

I do all my own oil changes, etc. I only farm out things that are too complicated or I don't have time to do myself. I wish I could do everything.

Quick Reply: how many on here change their own oil ?