Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you change your own oil ?
Yes, I do it myself, so it's done right : )
76.32%
No, I have others do it!
23.68%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

how many on here change their own oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member
Default how many on here change their own oil ?

The only reason I do mine. Is that I can trust me. But I can't trust most of oil change places. I've heard too many horror stories. One place in town I go to lets me go in the garage with them. So that's cool. I can watch them and look under it also. The guy ( Jim) is full of knowledge on recalls and things like that. For a 20 min job i'm in there over an hr talking to them. But it's getting to be a pain in the ***. Cause after you change the oil. Now you have to get rid of it & the filter. Wash your hands and clean up any mess on the floor. Some times I wonder if its worth it or not. Only car that gets my attn when it comes to this is the Chevelle. Once in a while the Monte. I change the oil every 3 months. No matter how many miles are on it. During the week just going back and forth to work. I put on about 66 miles. Maybe some runing around after work. So I'm saying maybe 100 miles per week on the Monte. It's just cheap insurance... Peace of mind is a wonderful thing..

Last edited by Space; 08-06-2011 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Added Poll 2 your Thread & entered the # of Member's that change their own oil : )
Old 08-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I do my own, that way I know it's done right and I dont have to pay, people around here tend to mess it up no matter what

Old 08-05-2011, 11:46 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I change my own oil, i have a lift & all to use so its jusst easier for me to do it

Old 08-06-2011, 12:04 AM

1 Year Member

No lift here Mike. I just drive up on two boards that I have cut to fit under the front tires. 8 inchs wide X 20 inchs long x 2 inchs thick. Enough for me to get under it safely about 4 to 5 inchs off the ground. Easier then jacking it up and putting jack stands under it. Both the Monte & the Chevelle are easy to get to. I take my used oil to O'Reilly's. They take it no questions asked. But they give you your bottles back ?? Filter I take to the dump when I do go.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:10 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Yeah my dad wemt a lil crazy wen he built our garage so we got alot of equipment but i used to do that with my truck works realy good & we dump our oil in a 55 gallon drum & burn in during the winter

Old 08-06-2011, 12:32 AM

1 Year Member

Thats cool Mike. You know I have to say this. I've said it before on here. But I've always hated Blue cars. or trucks or Harley's. But That blue on your car is just out of this world BEAUTIFUL. Theres no question thats a Fantastic color. And the picture you show. Looks like HOT Melted plastic. Damn thats a BEAUTIFUL CAR. I love my Victory Red. But I'll tell you this. If there's a nexr one. Bet you last $$$ I'ts going to be that COLOR. Have any more pictures of it ?? I'd like to see more of it. Rick

Old 08-06-2011, 01:47 AM

I change my own, except in the winter since i only have a storage garage that can only fit one car, and when shes in there she dosent see snow the other monte does lol, in the winter i take it to a well trusted mechanic I've know for years, i guess ?I'm kind alucky in that way lol

Old 08-06-2011, 02:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do it myself and have since befor i could drive, ( my parents cars) i miss working at toyota becuase i could use the lift and use the bulk oil for dirt cheap! but now i just drive it up on my old trusty metal ramps and do it,

Old 08-06-2011, 03:31 AM

*Hi Rick, I made a Poll for your thread & entered the above member's that change their own oil..
Oh, I do 2 Great Thread...Yes "Peace of Mind"

Old 08-06-2011, 06:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Man am I embarrassed. seams I am the only one that hires this chore out. I go to the dealer for the Deuce. I have changed my own oil for years prior to the Deuce. Guess a habit I got into becuse I had 2 years free oil changes when I brought the Deuce new from the dealer.

I have been thinking of starting to do it myself.....Maybe next oil change.

Quick Reply: how many on here change their own oil ?