Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Hello Everyone

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Hello Everyone

I hope everyone is having a decent summer so far?

Can't wait till next week and the Monte Nationals.

I've been doing a lot of nothing. Well, that's not 100% true.

Went to the ocean with my parents and girlfriend 3 weeks ago.
Long story short. My dad fell and hit his head on the street @ 120 McGinnis, Pine Knoll Shores, N. Carolina. We got his to an Emergency Care on Bridge St. Morehead City, N. Carolina. Near the hospital. Doctor said no concussion and no stitches in his right knee. Leaving there and trying to get back across the bridge I was in the left turn lane. A Morehead City cop pulls right up behind me and flips on his lights/siren. I thought he wanted through. So...... I moved. He pulls up behind the car, comes to the window and tells me I just ran a red light. $238 and 2 points later I feel screwed.
My mother asked the cop to have a little compassion. He replied, "No!"

I haven't had so much as a parking ticket in 22 years. WHY would I run a red light in front of a cop?

I didn't know but in N. Carolina their attornies can argue a traffic violation. Here in Ohio they can't. I got letters from four different lawyers that all said, "Don't pay that fine."

Too late cause my dad insisted he pay it that afternoon.

BUT... can't wait to attend the Monte Nationals. Even got CJ out last week to clean him. And here I set. LOL!!

The weekend after the Nats in Columbus Goodguys. Which I plan to be at.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey RJ look me up at the Monte Nats! Iam gonna be there too!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:44 PM

Thats ridiculous. I wouldn't have paid it. He probably just wanted to nail you since you weren't from there.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi RJ!

Glad your dad is going to be okay. That sucks about the ticket. Which car were you driving at the time? Maybe the cop was jealous because your ride was cooler than his. Or like BlackRain said, maybe he saw you weren't from there and figured you'd be an easy addition to his quota.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Yeah being an outta owner with a nice car didn't help much I'm sure. My buddy has a nice caddilac that he bought used for rather cheap. He got stopped going a few miles over in Illinois or Ohio and when he asked the cop how much the fine was gonna be he was told"you drive a Cadillac you can afford it" :WTF:

Most importantly glad to hear your dad is OK

Last edited by lougreen03; 06-21-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

They're like that hear... I didn't know you couldn't fight traffic citations in other states. It's almost a given in North Carolina that you fight all of your traffic tickets... if you're in the know, that is.

Almost all speeding tickets in my county seem to get reduced to a lower speed or if you get the right lawyer, "Faulty Equipment" and no points. It's almost ridiculous how well some of these lawyers can fight tickets in this state. However, none of the good lawyers send out letters like that. You have to go look for them.

When I got my Speed Competition and Reckless Driving in 2009, I made a list of all the attorneys in the county, and then checked them off as the letters arrived in the mail. I chose one who advertised in the paper and was rather low key, called the laywer and talked it over, and I went with him to court just to show that I was apologetic and to show that I was taking my violation seriously.

My lawyer recommended I take a defensvie driving class, even though the courts did not order me to do so yet, it just showed that I took the offense seriously. I got the speed competition dropped, plead guilty to careless and reckless, then got something in North Carolina called a "Prayer for Judgment" put on the C&R. A PJ as it is called is only given if you have a clean driving record before hand. It means no fine is assessed, and no points are given to your record. However, should you get another offense inside of 5? years, both convictions hit your driving record (I think, my lawyer explained it to me at the time). Of course, I paid well for those services, and have to behave to this day for it.

I suppose not all free states are as free as others. The idea of not being able to fight a charge seems unconstitional to me, you're innocent until proven guilty, the supreme court has ruled that all convictions deserve a trial, and you have the right to an attorney in all criminal cases. I guess Ohio doesn't categorize traffic tickets as "criminal." My speed competition was criminal though, I could have had a court appointed attorney if I so chose. The guy I was allegedly racing did that and he got a 45 day license suspension for "inappropriate operation of a motor vehicle."

But I'm getting into one of Taz's "long and boring" posts here.

I do hope that you and your family enjoyed your stay in our "fine" state, other than hte injury and traffic tickets. Next time you come down, let me know, you should come through Oxford and hang out with me sometime!

Old 06-21-2012, 05:16 PM

Hi R.J.,
I missed your thread earlier, but posted in the Blog that it was great to see you back online, along with Grandpa `Dave appearing...

Sorry about your ticket, but was happy to read that your dad wasn't hurt bad or had to stay in the hospital...I do hope that your trip had some fun times and created memories..
Did you take any pic's that you can share ?

Sure hope we see you more often...You've been missed 4-Sure Do you have the officer's name ? We can chip in & send him a new pair of glasses

I think the majority of police officers are good officers, but there always seem to be a few that are not...I don't envy them their job in today's world 4-Sure...

Wish you a super time at the Nationals...Look forward to your updates & pictures...

Peace/Love/Happiness to you & `all from `Space

Old 06-21-2012, 09:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Welcome back!!
I got a speeding ticket on my way home from my honey moon in South Carolina. Normally, I have no problem for paying my fine, except when the cop ADDS 10-20MPH. I got the citation knocked down from a $350 citation to a $70 one. A lot of complaints, one I wrote to the governor about that experience and how it does not seem to matter that the trooper was rude to me for no reason AND falsified my speed.
Long story short, I felt justice was served when I got the fine reduced.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

i don't hate cops, but i think they are bored sometime and want to ruin our day. i was in iowa visiting. i ran a yellow light didn't quite made to the other side when it turn red. cop pulled me over and told me to step out of the jeep. there were 2 of them btw. they shook down my jeep throwing crap every where. as they can see there's nothing in my jeep just tools and clothes. they gave me a warning ticket and leave all my clothes all over the seats. have another incident here in the chicago 'burb cop follow me to walgreen parking lot. i parked my jeep and walk inside walgreen. i was peeping out inside walgreen and saw the cop park next to my jeep and looking around the bushes. he probably thought i threw some drugs in the bushes lmao, silly cop i think he's looking for donuts. he walked inside walgreen i was at the magazine shelf acting like im reading. he was standing few yards from me. about 5 minutes later he walked out the door.