New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Hello Everyone!

Old 08-17-2005, 01:26 AM
Default Hello Everyone!

Hi All,

My name is George and I just joined this forum. I am seriously considering a newer style Monte Carlo (2000-2005) and I was looking to get some input from you.

I currently own a 95 Caprice 9C1 former police cruiser which I drive about 200 miles a day. I absolutely love the car but the price of gas is really has gotten to be more than I can stand. I am a big Chevy fan so I am looking to get something a little more fuel efficient. Another big concern is that I am a big guy (6'2" 360) and I spend the entire day in the car so comfort is important to me. I have not driven on yet, only sat in one to test fit it. Any other big guys have any input about how well they fit and how you feel after a long drive?

Next, my Caprice is pushing 270hp with it's modifications so it will really get up and go and handles like it is on rails with the lowered suspension and 17" wheels. I think the Monte has 200hp. Are these cars underpowered? I do not expect it to move out like the Caprice but is it respectable? Are there many mods available for them? How well do they handle? I have always had rear drive cars and the front wheel drive handling is a great concern of mine.

What kind of mileage can I expect from a Monte? Most of my driving is all thruway, cruise set to 78mph and 15 in the Caprice is just not enough with gas at $2.65 (as of tonight). Lastly, are there any areas of particular concern to pay attention to when checking out used Monte's?

I thank you all very much for any information you can provide me with will be greatly appreciated. I look forward scouring these forums for any other info. Have a great night!

Old 08-17-2005, 03:59 AM
Default RE: Hello Everyone!

Well, first of all, welcome to the board.

I'm a big guy and the Monte is great, comfort wise. I don't have any complaints at all as far as comfort goes. Although, that damn seat belt!!!! It's not height adjustable so it can and will dig into your neck if you don't put it through the loop on the seat.

If you're used to and want to get something close to your 270hp Caprice, you might be interested in the Supercharged SS, it's got 240 HP stock, and plenty mods available to get it up and over the 270hp you're used to. However, with gas prices being an issue, you might want to forget about that one. Looks like the 200hp SS is what you need, it uses unleaded and gets close to 30mpg hwy. Plenty of mods available for the 3800 under it's hood, I can't comment on the handling as I've never driven the SS, but I can't imagine it being drastically different than the LS, so I'd recommend performance shocks/springs and upgraded sway bars, that should do the trick.

Expect 20/29 mileage from the Monte SS. Look under the radiator cap for excessive build up, and look at the overflow tank, if it's got brown stuff all in it, move on to the next one. Being that it runs DexCool, it's been known to cause a few problems here and there.

That's about all I have to offer, good luck on picking a good Monte, you won't be disappointed(unless you can't get over the 70hp difference)

Old 08-17-2005, 03:01 PM

Hi All,

My name is George and I just joined this forum. I am seriously considering a newer style Monte Carlo (2000-2005) and I was looking to get some input from you.

I currently own a 95 Caprice 9C1 former police cruiser which I drive about 200 miles a day. I absolutely love the car but the price of gas is really has gotten to be more than I can stand. I am a big Chevy fan so I am looking to get something a little more fuel efficient. Another big concern is that I am a big guy (6'2" 360) and I spend the entire day in the car so comfort is important to me. I have not driven on yet, only sat in one to test fit it. Any other big guys have any input about how well they fit and how you feel after a long drive?

Next, my Caprice is pushing 270hp with it's modifications so it will really get up and go and handles like it is on rails with the lowered suspension and 17" wheels. I think the Monte has 200hp. Are these cars underpowered? I do not expect it to move out like the Caprice but is it respectable? Are there many mods available for them? How well do they handle? I have always had rear drive cars and the front wheel drive handling is a great concern of mine.

What kind of mileage can I expect from a Monte? Most of my driving is all thruway, cruise set to 78mph and 15 in the Caprice is just not enough with gas at $2.65 (as of tonight). Lastly, are there any areas of particular concern to pay attention to when checking out used Monte's?

I thank you all very much for any information you can provide me with will be greatly appreciated. I look forward scouring these forums for any other info. Have a great night!
Hello George, welcome to the forum!!!

I think you'll be very happy with a 6th gen Monte, if at all possible go for the Supercharged model... The supercharged Monte is rated 18/28MPG's. My 3.8L SS is rated @ 20/30 and I average 24.5 MPG's in the city. As far as handling goes, the stock system is pretty nice but as Rich noted, upgrades are out there to make it an even better ride. Mods, with minimal investment you can get at least 240HP out of the 3.8L, turbo/cam/engine mods will get you up to the 300HP area. Of course you'll have to get a second morgage to pay for it I am sure..lol

Old 08-19-2005, 01:47 AM

Guys,

Thanks for the input. I really do appreciate it. I have enjoyed checking out the forums in my short time here. MonteJazz, what mods are you referring to to get to 240hp? Thank you all again very much and have a great night!

Old 08-19-2005, 03:40 PM

ORIGINAL: GeoGoGo

Guys,

Thanks for the input. I really do appreciate it. I have enjoyed checking out the forums in my short time here. MonteJazz, what mods are you referring to to get to 240hp? Thank you all again very much and have a great night!
I would do these things to get you at 240 or above...

Ubend delete = 8HP
CAI= 6-10HP depending on which one you go with.
Throttle Body Upgrade=7-12HP ~ L I N K ~
Reprogrammed PCM/DHP/Hypertech= 10-20HP DHP
Hypertech

Those are the cheap mods.

Wanna really do it up nice...

Turbo Kit = 96HP

If you do this^^^^^^^^^ You'll need this...

ZZP Trans LINK

Old 08-19-2005, 05:17 PM

Welcome