Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

GRAND THEFT AUTO IV

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Default RE: GRAND THEFT AUTO IV

very good game, i'm lovin it

Old 05-08-2008, 04:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

[cynical]

Hmmm, let's see, over 6 million copies sold alone in the U.S.

That is about 1 in every 20 households.

At $60 each, that is a pretty big chunk of money.

So where is this recession everyone is talking about?

[/cynical]

Old 05-08-2008, 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

[cynical]

[/cynical]
I work at a Gamestop, and I did some of the math too. This "recession" we have is bewildering considering the game market is sky rocketing. At the end of each night when we close the store we have to write in a book provided by the company that is then proceeded to be spent back to the company for evaluation and such for each month, anyway, in this book we have to write the "daily numbers" which is how much the store took in for trade dollars, how much customers bought, etc. Last week, when GTA came out, we had a 300% increase in sales compared to last year. And it has been a steady over 100% within the past few months, not just because of GTA IV. It is crazy. A stockholder came into the store and told me about how he bought stock a few years ago when the store I'm at was once called Babbages (I was a youngin' then), and then it was bought by EB then by gamestop, and the stock has increased almost tenfold in value. This recession business is fishy, because working at a gamestop most days of the week and seeing the amounts of people that pour in an out. It gets crazier around tax time because people would come in and spend their returns on a ps3, xbox 360, or anything that was super expensive and a few games.

Back when the XBOX first came out (5 or 6 years ago I think), Microsoft did a test to see how much people were willing to spend on games. That is why most games cost so much nowadays. Then, games were $30, and I remember being like "This is insane!" now, $60 is the average price of a new game. Microsoft raised the prices on their published games, and if it looked interesting, people would still buy it, even if it was 20 or more dollars than the other game. The gaming industry is wild. I'm a computer Science major, and I've looked into internships for video game companies. A lot of starting salaries are near 100k. And with each quarter, new games come out, new technologies, new demands, and the industry grows. The money in video games is wild.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

lol exactly! never thought about that, but this game is definetely amazing...worth every cent, i think i still would have bought it had it have been 150$ its got just so much gameplay

as for the price of games, they have dropped compared to what NINTENDO used to charge for their N64 games, they were 89-109$ for every new game

some final fantasy games used to be $89 when they first came out too (ff7 and ff8)

Old 05-09-2008, 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

[cynical]

[/cynical]
GP `Dave,
It's hitting the other 19 in a household : (
It's hitt'in `Space 4 Sure.
I have to decide between a gallon of Milk or a gallon of `gas : )
I wish I could afford to be a gamer : ), and I hope in my
future that I can afford a system like Mod `Wiz has : )
I think the recessions is just hurt'in us poor folks : )
What hurts also is the devaluation of the US dollar : (
I have many older friends that are on retirement that
have really been making sacrifices to survive.
I do know one of the kids on the beach that just got
Grand Theft Auto & he told me I can come over anytime
to try it. I hope to soon.
p.s. Member `Dopefish...super post, thanks : )

Old 05-13-2008, 03:22 PM

How did I miss this thread?! I'm spending WAY too much time playing GTA IV and neglecting the Monte (it's been raining every other day anyway so no point in washing 'er too much).

Anyway, I have completeled the story and completed the races and Assasain missions. Still only 69.75% done! Check out socialclub . rockstargames . com if you get a chance. It's pretty cool. you can track and share your progress online just by signing up. PS3 uploads everything. It's not quite finished and a little behind as far as your stats but pretty cool.

PSNID: Endo129 if anyone ever wants to play online, or play COD4 online, or anything else for that matter.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

hey if i can figure out how to add you i will add you, my psn id is wizkidd1982, so you can add me if i dont do it first

thats for anyone too, just send me a pm on there saying your on mcf and i'll accept it

Old 05-16-2008, 08:10 PM

Me and a couple of friends went on midnight release night at Wal Mart and we were the first ones to get it. Just last week I finished the game and loved it. I got the PS3 version (though I also have a 360) and I haven't had a single problem with it freezing or locking up. My friends that got it with me both have the 360 version and neither have had any problems with it. Weird.

But at any rate, anybody here who has a PS3 or 360 and is wondering if this game is worth the $60....YES it DEFINATELY is!!!!! It is a huge cut above all of the other GTA games and it raises the bar really high for current-gen titles.