Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Auto Theft : (

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:26 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Auto Theft : (

[sm=chattypair.gif][sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=chattypair.gif]
[sm=crossbonesgif.gif][sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=crossbonesgif.gif][sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=guilty.gif]
Break their arms & legs
[:-]Lock'em Up [:-]

Auto Theft Prevention [/align]How to protect your rolling property [/align]

by D Murphy [/align]

[/align]Every 26 seconds someone in the United States becomes a victim of auto theft. If you become one of the statistics, the chances of your vehicle being recovered are slightly more than one in two, so protecting your property is well worth the extra effort and expense. While no one is immune from auto theft, those who live in large metropolitan areas, close to a major port or international border, or own a sports or luxury vehicle (including SUVs) are statistically more likely to be a target for theft. Ownership of an older vehicle will not rule your vehicle out as a possible victim. Newer vehicles may come equipped with theft deterrent devices, so the professional thief is more inclined to go for the easier mark, an unprotected vehicle that's six to eight years old.
Layered Approach [/align]Whatever type of vehicle you own, insurance carriers and law-enforcement agencies recommend what they call the layered approach. The more layers of protection around the vehicle, the more discouraged amateur thieves will be, and the longer it might take the pros to crack the multiple codes. This approach allows, hopefully, for detection before the vehicle ends up in the local chop shop. Of the following "layers," the first two deter amateur car thieves, the third can discourage a pro and the fourth can help recover your vehicle while it's still intact.
Common Sense [/align]Some of these recommended items under "common sense" are really obvious, but don't scoff: 80 percent of all autos stolen in 2002 were unlocked at the time, and half of that number had the keys conveniently in the ignition.
[/align]> Lock your car, roll up the windows—and don't leave the key in the ignition.
[/align]> Store spare keys in your wallet, not tucked away in a "safe" place on the car. Thieves know all the conventional "safe hiding places" for spare keys.
[/align]> Don't leave the car running and unattended, even in your own driveway.
[/align]> Remove the ****-type door-lock buttons and replace them with tapered ones.
[/align]> If you've installed security devices, use them every time you leave your car unattended.
[/align]> Avoid leaving your car in an unattended parking lot for extended periods of time. Vehicles are five times more likely to be stolen from an unattended lot than from the street or an attended lot. According to FBI statistics, the top spots for auto theft are malls, apartments, stores, churches and office buildings—all locations where the thief can safely assume he's got some time to make off with your car.
[/align]> If you have to leave a key with a parking attendant, leave only the ignition key.
[/align]> Make sure your vehicle's VIN number is recorded and kept in a safe place at home.
[/align]> At night, park in well-lit areas with pedestrian traffic.
[/align]> Turn wheels sharply toward the c

Old 02-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Auto Theft : (

sheesh! when i read the topic of this thread and then all the pics @ the start of your post i thought your car got stolen....lol

Old 02-20-2007, 04:25 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Auto Theft : (

I hate thieves. [sm=chairshot.gif][sm=icon_beat.gif]

I'm a firm believer in chopping off some body part like the eastern counties do if they want to steal.

When I was growing up my parents taught me to work for things I wanted. And above all.... there's NOTHING in this world I want bad enough to steal. Not sure why other parents find teaching their kids lessons like this is beyond their reach?