Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Theft...3rd time!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Theft...3rd time!

So it is September 2008 and my 06 Monte SS has been broken into 3 times now.3 TIMES! I've had the car for a whole year, but in May of this year the car was broken into at church, then later theSAME month after I paid my $500 deductible and fixed the car, it happened again at my house. Last night it happened while at a friend's house it happened again.

The 1st time they broke into the car (at church) they completely broke the door handle off the car. The last 2 times the door handle is pretty much intact witha little paint chipped under the handle.

I'm sure it's not the same person targeting me because each time it is in a completely different part of town. Also nothing has ever been stolen each time they've broken into my car.

I've been looking for a body shop in the St. Louis area that can shave door handles, but have had no luck. I went to the Chevy dealer and they told me that GM cars with those type of door handles are in their body shop every week. He said they repair 3 to 5 cars every week for broken into door handles. He said he still hasn't seen a GM car with the newer door handles in his shop yet. Why did the 06 Impala get the door upgrades and us 06 Monte owners have to settle for the same ol' sh*t?

I talked to the cops again and they told me that I could kill a person for breaking into my car and it would be perfectly legal if I say, "they were trying to car-jack me, they said they had a weapon and I was in fear for my life." When you call the police, they don't do anything but give you a report # and ask if anything was taken. They don't fingerprint the car or anything.

I'm about to give up. I can't seem to get the door handles shaved, Chevy said it is impossible to get the upgraded door handles like the ones on the Impala installed on a Monte. I'm thinking about trading it in for something different with better door handles. Sure I could have better door handles and someone breaks the window next time, but he cops and the Chevy body shop said most likely the car theif will pass up a car with better door handles and get one with Monte door handles or Chrysler ones like the Dodge Charger.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Default RE: Theft...3rd time!

[align=center]Bill, sorry to read about all your bad luck.[/align][align=center]I do not think shaved door handles would solve the problem.[/align][align=center]Locks are only there to keep honest people honest.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]If you can afford, I would build a garage with security for your Monte.[/align][align=center]If not, I would hook `up a electrical shock system to your Monte : )[/align][align=center]Or install security camera`s ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Some people just dont have respect for other peoples property : ([/align][align=center]Wish you better luck 4-Sure[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
[IMG]local://upfiles/4301/C3CB934FC97940EFB08A813934BACF2D.gif[/IMG] [/align]

Old 09-14-2008, 02:06 PM

[:@]What the hell am I paying Onstar for if they can't call the police or call me when my car alarm is going off? But if I didn't know where my car was they could find it and sound the alarm. If I had an accident they could know right away and call the police. How hard can it be to call me and say, "Hey, your car alarm is going off."

Old 09-14-2008, 02:13 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

OO thats true, why dont the call you[:-]

Old 09-14-2008, 02:23 PM

Dude, that is seriously ridiculous. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but not really for security (I keep nothing of value in the car other than installed parts) more for looks. These guys are the ones I'd ask about maybe a kit or something, and then any body shop should be able to fill in the handle holes.

http://www.lafranceautoworks.com/

Old 09-14-2008, 02:38 PM

I don't keep anything of value in my car either. I'm going to try to cancel OnStar, but I think I am under a contract. Any body shop can fix my car, but none of them can shave my door handles.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:34 PM

Shaved doors are not that difficult. I wonder why they say they can't do it. Is it something to do with the factory key less entry?

Old 09-14-2008, 04:45 PM

the thing is anymore the body shops are nothign more then parts changers.
If you want abody shop for shaved door handels etc... you need to find a custom shop.
get in to the local phone book and find a shop that DONT DO WRECK REPAIR. they are all you will find.
Maco etc... ia a exampel of such a place. they charge high dollar to replace a fender or two.

As for the actuall shaving of the handels you can do it in your driver way if you have some mechanical skill. or know someone that dose. they are not difficult.
then once done take your door handel out and pattren the hole and cut it out of tin. then sand it down to bare metal right around the hole like 1-2" then you can put the tin inplace with the help of a welder or a frends welder. once it is tacked in all the way around with no gaps then you grind everythign down smooth and use very littel filler just enough to make it real smooth. then paint over it.

Some place i actually have a how to i will see if i can find it agian. but they are really not hard.
if you dont do body work at all just do the stuff inside of the door and you can leave the handels in place then disconnect them on the back side and nobody will knwo any diffrent.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:57 PM

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f199/h...andles-118835/

this is one of the how to's i have on this. but it will give you the basics on how to do it.
also hotrod.com i belive it is is a weath of knolage for things like this

Old 09-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear about your break-in. I'm guessing that the 06 and 07 Montes didn't get the new door handles because GM decided to put their focus on the Impala since the Monte wasn't a big seller anymore. They probably figured if the refreshed look of the 06 brings a boost in sales, then they would look at doing more with the Monte. But when sales didn't go up, they decided to cancel the Monte after the 07 model year.

I remember seeing various programs shaving door handles. Including HotRod TV, Trucks, and a number of others. They make it look like the hardest part would be the installation of the actual kit. Looked like filling the hole where your stock handle was, is the easy part.

I saw something on the tv news yesterday that said OnStar is going to look into expanding their capabilities to help police in a car chase situation. The police would contact OnStar with the vehicle's info, and OnStar will be able to remotely disable the accelerator. The car thief can press on the pedal all he wants, the PCM won't do anything.

Quick Reply: Theft...3rd time!