Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Code delete

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
ZZP isn't even 2 hours away from you. I would give them a call and just talk to them.

Truthfully, if you tune your transmission so that the shifts occur faster, you might think that it is harmful. But in actuality, our stock tune forces the trans to "slip" into each gear so that it is softer for the driver, but that slipping causes a lot of heat, and heat is one of the worst things for our trannys.

But if you talk to ZZP and just want them to delete a few codes, I'm sure it might not even be that expensive.
Might as well just get a full tune at that point. My shifts are quick but not hard by any means when I'm cruising at 'normal' speeds. Accelerating is a different story, it will slam quickly (not in a bad way) when I'm on the gas.

To the OP, if you search google for 'PCM Monte Carlo' or 'PCM Grand Prix' you will find a lot of results that will help you down the path of finding a new tune.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:50 AM
1 Year Member

So is $250 for a tue a good price? He said they would Tune the MAF, construction a proper fuel and spark for part and wot eliminate KR, set fans, op speed limiter, optimize shift points and trans pressures, and turn off codes associated with high flow cat. That all sound standard and good?

Old 08-12-2014, 10:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's all quite standard.

The anti-fouler would be a cheaper option for you, but I would recommend that tune, especially if you are done modifying the car for a while.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:27 AM
1 Year Member

Can I ask why you would reccemond it? Why get a tune?

Old 08-12-2014, 10:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

If you really don't want a full tune, I offer a PCM service in our for sale section here and can delete the p0420 code (assuming that is your issue) as well as a few other optional items if you would like. You ship me the PCM and pay $50, I adjust the PCM and ship it back.
Just another alternative.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by afterburner34
Can I ask why you would reccemond it? Why get a tune?
Honestly, these are all listed on the site and are all good reasons for just getting a tune. There's plenty to offer in a little computer swap.
  • Speed limiter removed
  • Raised rev limiter
  • Raised shift points
  • 3-1 and 4-2 skip shifts
  • Programmed for race pellet added timing
  • Transmission line pressure increased
  • 185F fan turn on
  • 90 second fan on at key-off (this feature activates when engine coolant is 180 degrees or greater)
  • MAF calibration is year specific
  • WOT fueling richen to reduce KR
  • Removes lag by changing downshift tables
  • Correct VIN number programmed in (if put in note section)
  • Part throttle KR issue fixed
  • Torque abuse modes are modified to eliminate bog at launch
  • Shift KR is remapped for modified vehicles
  • Power enrichment tables modified for cars running increased boost
  • P0128 code removed for running drilled or 160 Tstats on newer cars
  • Torque converter lockup tables modified to improve transmission life and eliminate converter lockup hunting
  • Fiero PCMs have all codes deleted for use in the Fiero, 1.0 features, security disabled, ABS disabled, etc (use the year of your engine on the drop down and all 9's for a vin)
  • Sand rail PCMs have all transmission settings disabled, all codes deleted that need to be, security & ABS disabled (use the year of your engine on the drop down and all 9's for a vin)

Old 08-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I was a tad hesitant at first to get a tune on my car as well, but after getting one all I could think of was "why didn't I do it sooner". I had mine done by Will @overkill, he is located a few hours away from me, and I highly recommend his work, great guy, great tune and my car runs better, cooler and shifts better.

I don't know about the zzp tune, but I have dealt with them when getting my high flow cat and downpipe and their service and shipping was great, I will definitely deal with them in the future.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

$250 sounds like a lot just for a tune imo. I live about an hour & 15 minutes or so north of ZZP and go to them for a dyno tune when I need it. I've never spent more then $160 for a solid custom dyno tune by them. Just take a road trip and head on over to Grand Rapids and they can give you a good tune.