Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Code delete

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 07:30 AM
1 Year Member
Default Code delete

I just put on a ZZP downpipe and the O2 sensor is throwing a code and SES light is on. Where can I go to get this code DELETED not cleared. I want a perminate delete not a temporary fix and have to keep doing it. I know it can be done with a tune but I dont want one a this point. Anyone know where to go? Dealership? Autozone? Anyone in Michigan?

Old 08-12-2014, 07:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You'll probably have to get a tune. You can mail order them from ZZP, or various other companies that support the 3800 engine.

You can also look locally for a tune or try the spark plug defouler trick that works for many but not for all.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Can I ask why you don't want a tune?

It's either tune or anti-fouler like Mitch said

Old 08-12-2014, 08:19 AM
1 Year Member

Getting a tune could cause more stress on my transmission which Ive have replaced twice. Also Its a daily driver and I dont want a tune to mess up fuel economy and such. As well as not knowing where to get a good tune for cheap. Would a tune be the best bet for a car if its a daily driver?

Old 08-12-2014, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by afterburner34
Getting a tune could cause more stress on my transmission which Ive have replaced twice. Also Its a daily driver and I dont want a tune to mess up fuel economy and such. As well as not knowing where to get a good tune for cheap. Would a tune be the best bet for a car if its a daily driver?
It won't be more stress on the transmission really, the transmission stress will depend on your driving habits.

I'm tuned with intake and exhaust and I drive about 140-150 miles daily and don't have any issues yet (knock on wood) and have put about 40k miles and counting on that tune. Due to the fueling and shift point adjustments among some other things you should actually gain some power and some mpg's on the highway.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:24 AM
1 Year Member

What are the pros and Cons of geting a tune? Where can I go (I live in Flint MI) to get a good tune? Price?

Old 08-12-2014, 08:45 AM
1 Year Member

I hear Maxx HP uning does good work. They worh a look? or are they overpriced?

Old 08-12-2014, 09:01 AM
10 Year Member

What are the pros and Cons of geting a tune? Where can I go (I live in Flint MI) to get a good tune? Price?
I hear Maxx HP uning does good work. They worh a look? or are they overpriced?
Like I said earlier, you can mail order them from ZZP. With a virtually stock car a canned tune is probably your best bet.

Maxx HP just sounds like a cheap knockoff AutoZone deal.

Look into the ZZP tune or Overkill tunes and you should enjoy the shift points and such.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:09 AM
1 Year Member

What tune from ZZP would u reccemond an how does it work? Is i like a plug in or do I take it somewhere? I have no clue how this stuf works or which one off ZZP

Old 08-12-2014, 09:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ZZP isn't even 2 hours away from you. I would give them a call and just talk to them.

Truthfully, if you tune your transmission so that the shifts occur faster, you might think that it is harmful. But in actuality, our stock tune forces the trans to "slip" into each gear so that it is softer for the driver, but that slipping causes a lot of heat, and heat is one of the worst things for our trannys.

But if you talk to ZZP and just want them to delete a few codes, I'm sure it might not even be that expensive. Basically they would just plug a computer into your OBD2 port, read the tune off your car, make it so that your PCM no longer reports the P0420 code, and then quickly flash that back to your PCM. It's something that would take me 10 minutes if your car was next to me. So it's just worth the ask.

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 08-12-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Code delete