Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Any Transformers fans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
Very close on question #2. But you are confusing 2 Dinobots: Snarl was the Stegasaurus and Slag was the Triceritops. It was the Stegasaurus, Snarl, who did not appear in the movie.
Well, at least you know I didn't Google it, haha! I knew it was the Stegasaurus (as you pointed out, I got the names mixed up), so, partial credit, right?

Here's an interesting fact, the '86 Animated movie with the last production Orson Wells worked on before passing away.
Also, Leonard Nemoy did the voice of Galvatron in the movie and Frank Welker continued the role of Galvatron in the series. In one of the Star Trek movies, Frank Welker had to voice a scream for Spock (who is played by Leonard Nimoy).

Peter Cullen is the voice of the original G1 Optimus Prime, he also voiced Prime in the live action movies. He is also the voice of K.A.R.R. from the original Knight Rider (with the Trans Am) and the re-make with the Mustang.

Here's one.... In the '86 Animated movie, which character is listed in the movie credits with a voice actor but never made an appearance in the movie?

Old 12-07-2010, 01:03 PM

OH man you guys are bringing back memories for me. I was a huge fan of the original cartoon when I was a kid, which you guys call (G1) Generation 1 I'm guessing? I don't think I ever saw Beast wars or any of the others though. I loved the original animated movie, I use to have it on VHS and wish I still did. I think I wore it out. I found a torrent of it a few years back and made a dvd of it. Hot Rod was my favorite and when he transformed into Rodimus Prime it was the most badass moment in all of cartoon history! And that song was great during that moment, anyone know what that song was? "The Touch" maybe?

Edit: I didn't like either of the new movies at all. I thought they changed the characters way too much and turned it into a giant chevy commercial. They could have at least got the models of the vehicles close to the source material, bumblebee as a camaro is stupid. Bumblebee should have been a new bug and Hot Rod should have been in the movie as a camaro, would have made more sense.

Last edited by Nocturnx; 12-07-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:07 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nocturnx
OH man you guys are bringing back memories for me. I was a huge fan of the original cartoon when I was a kid, which you guys call (G1) Generation 1 I'm guessing? I don't think I ever saw Beast wars or any of the others though. I loved the original animated movie, I use to have it on VHS and wish I still did. I think I wore it out. I found a torrent of it a few years back and made a dvd of it. Hot Rod was my favorite and when he transformed into Rodimus Prime it was the most badass moment in all of cartoon history! And that song was great during that moment, anyone know what that song was? "The Touch" maybe?

Edit: I didn't like either of the new movies at all. I thought they changed the characters way too much and turned it into a giant chevy commercial. They could have at least got the models of the vehicles close to the source material, bumblebee as a camaro is stupid. Bumblebee should have been a new bug and Hot Rod should have been in the movie as a camaro, would have made more sense.
The live action movies are neat, but certainly don't hold the same capture I had with the animated flick. Ironhide for instance should have been a red truck (a van would have been more like it). And as for Bumblebee, well, there are SOOOO many rumors on why he's not a VW:
- VW said the film was "too violent"
- VW said "We're ending the bug, why do we wanna push it in a new film?"
- Michael Bay said "For the Transformers to seem 'larger then life' their vehicle mass has to be justified. A VW Bug is just too small a vehicle to pull it off".

I did not like how BumbleBee and Herby have a lot in common in these live action flicks.

G1 is Generation 1 (started in '84). I found that in the U.S. our series ended in a three part episode after the Rebirth of Optimus Prime. But, take that three part episode away and in countries like Europe and Asia, our original characters continued (had to ditch the U.S. three parter because it did not fit the foreign stories). I actually have the DVD box sets of the original series PLUS, way back when I found an eBay seller listing the next 3 seasons of the Foreign version (dubbed in English, but not the same voice actors). I have that too, but have not had a chance to sit and watch all of any of it.

The Transformer's War for Cybertron video game is AWESOME! The TF line has been altered so much it's tough to keep one linage from another. But the game really ties a LOT with G1 from what I can tell (takes place before they leave for Earth, before Optimus is a Prime, and I was impressed to see the part where StarScream decides he wants to be a Decepticon). That game has awesome voice actors (including Peter Cullen, prime himself and a great guy doing StarScream, since Chriss Latta is dead, it's a tough role to file).

Nocx - Look up "Transformers invade Cleveland", there is a guy in the Parma/Brooklyn area making the news with his sweet Transformer display during Halloween (each year he adds a new character, so far Bumblebee, Optimus and Megatron). I saw it this year and it was VERY impressive (even though it's the live action characters, but it's super sweet)!

Good god, who's the OP on this one??? You guys got me all geeked out! And I have been too busy to continue the War for Cybertron (grrr, I need to get back to it, great game, great story).

Old 12-07-2010, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. I might have to see if I can pickup that game cheap too. You got me psyched about it. I'm going to have to dig out that old movie as well and watch it this week.

Optimus Prime died in that original animated movie and Hot Rod took over as leader. How did they bring Optimus back to life? And then did Hot Rod lose his Prime status somehow when Optimus was back?

Last edited by Nocturnx; 12-07-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Good god, who's the OP on this one??? You guys got me all geeked out! And I have been too busy to continue the War for Cybertron (grrr, I need to get back to it, great game, great story).
Lol, that would be me. I originally started it to see how G1 fans liked the new TF's series called Transformers Prime. Here's the first half of the first episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNhwzr3wQnI

TF: Prime returned Peter Cullen and Frank Welker and they both do a GREAT job. Also "The Rock" (Dwayne Johnson) voices Cliffjumper.

The new TF series reminds me of a blend of G1 characters with Beast Wars/Bayformers CGI. Like I've said before, I'm a BIG BW fan because it takes place in the future of the G1 storyline whereas all the other TF series are stand alone ones. I'm looking forward to seeing how TF Prime goes.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

I never really got into beast wars, or really any other transmformers series after G1...I hate retakes or remakes of originals (Like the new dukes of hazzard movie, or new knight rider tv shows)

I have a bunch of G1 toys as well as some newer ones...I never got into Transformers R.I.D. never saw one episode, but I did buy the Firetruck Optimus Prime I thought it was a cool toy and a nice change...

I never liked Megatron as a tank, to me he is always a and forever a gun, not a jet or tank or anything else.

Don't forget about the biggest dinosaur transformer...the decepticon Tripticon...lol..

I liked and was excited over the first live action movie...I think they can't really stick to an original script and such for hardcore fans as well as try and get the attention of today's generation and appeal to them...for instance to a young boy today a vw might be lame, but a new camaro would be wicked cool.

So I think the first one was pretty good mostly cause the story played on a boy and his car and gave an equal balance to character development both in the humans and robots, nice action and a decent story.

I feel they tried to top the first one by putting more into it, which went over the top...they should have played more on a boy going to college...yet there was very little story there, then they put way to many robots in it without enough screen time for all...some transformers only got a few seconds of screen time, then you never really saw them again...just way to much packed in.

Also, if your going to kill Optimus Prime, you only get one shot at it, don't use that "Attention Grabber" to early like in the second movie...IMO they shoulda waited till the third movie and make the plot by introducing Hot Rod as a young irresponsible free spirited robot at the beginning of the movie, and then have him mature, and by the end then kill off Optimus, and have Hot Rod develop into Rodimus....much like the animated movie...now I don't think they can kill off Optimus again cause it just takes the "Oh my" factor out of it.

Joe

Old 12-08-2010, 08:31 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nocturnx
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. I might have to see if I can pickup that game cheap too. You got me psyched about it. I'm going to have to dig out that old movie as well and watch it this week.

Optimus Prime died in that original animated movie and Hot Rod took over as leader. How did they bring Optimus back to life? And then did Hot Rod lose his Prime status somehow when Optimus was back?
More story boo-boos. The boo-boo, there was an episodes where the Decepticons fought the Autobots onto an Autobot floating mosoleum in space. The Quintisons turned Prime into a "Zombie" like state. He was not of full mental capacity and was a drone to come back as the leader trap the Autobots. He had enough mental capacity to sacrifice himself in the end and save his friends. He should not just be dead at this point, he should be space drebris.

Later episode (2 parter), some scientists witness a star going super nova. They see a ship with a "dead" Optimus going into the star. A lady and a guy pull Optimus into their ship and bring him to Earth. Her family hates the Autobots (flash back of Prime and Megatron fighting in their lab). They find the ship they came home with had a "spore" that brought nothing be but a violent plague. They decide to use Optimus as bait for a trap to infact the Autobots, this plague spreads world wide and universe wide (infecting the home planet of the Quintisons). Sky Lynx resques a Quinitison (seeing as they were the original "builders" of the transformers, this was the only hope to bring backa leader who could save the world, as Rodimus was infected). Optimu is brought back to life, needs coated in a material that protects from the plague, fights Rodimus for the Matrix, pulls the Matrix and seeks guidance from the fallen leaders within the Matrix, plays "The Touch", Optimus opens the Matrix and it is now emptied of it's "spark", world saved, Rodimus is now Hot Rod and Optimus is the leader.

Foreign versions (the ones I mentioned took place after the US series), Rodimus and Optimus exist and don't require the Matrix in them.... Odd change.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 AM

Amazon pre-orders on the boxset, pretty good deal. I wish it included the movie though.

Transformers: The Complete Series on DVD preorders for $60 + free shipping

Last edited by Nocturnx; 05-17-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:41 AM

I thought this was going to be a thread asking how many of us are planning to see the next Transformers movie this summer, but to answer your question, no I haven't seen the latest Transformers cartoon (or any of their cartoons).

I did see the first 2 Transformers movies, but I think that's enough for me and don't plan on seeing the next one.