Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

AH. im not sure what to do...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's a tough call and depends on more then any of us can read.

I've NEVER bought a new car (I'd like to one day, just for the experience, but I don't see it happening unless they retro a 3rd gen Camaro).

Rick has some big points:
1 - Make sure you can financially afford the Camaro. I don't know if you have a loan on your Monte, but I'm sure a Camaro payment is HIGHER then a Monte payment.
2 - I don't know how bad the paint damage is from pulling those stickers, but if it's bad enough you feel the entire car needs repainted, the value on your Monte just took a big hit. Trade in OR private sale, it's a damaged deal.

If you truly love the Monte and it's in overall great shape except the paint, then it is probablty worth having a good shop re-shoot it. If you just got the Monte because it was a nice car you could afford at the time, but you really wanted a Camaro, then you mind was made up before the paint damage. This is now a reason to justify jumping over.

We can only point out certain things (such as possible financial costs). Personally, I'd probably bite the bullet and get the Monte repainted. You're total cost of ownership will still be less then a BRAND NEW Camaro (and probably a lightly used one). The drive trains in these Montes are pretty good (except from what I've read about the transmissions in the 6th gens).

It was recommended that I take a moment and "sleep" on large dollar decisions. Don't rush into them. Take your time and weigh your options, you will ultimately do what you feel is right and that you can manage to do.

Best of luck with this choice.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:16 AM

Easy call - get the Monte repainted. Others have already presented good reasons.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you're seriously thinking of spending around $27,000 on a brand new Camaro simply because the Monte needs a paint job, then it sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to get a Camaro.

The Monte only needs a paint job. Like the others said, about $1000 to $1200 and you're Monte is good to go. But if you'd really rather make monthly payments for the next 3 or 4 years on a new Camaro, then I guess your mind is made up. But here's the thing...

A lot of people like the Camaro. And why not? It's a nice car, and it's fast. We all want a great looking, fast car. But it all comes down to if you can afford it, or if you're willing to go into debt for it. Possibly sacrificing other things along the way in order to keep making the payments. If you're willing to make the payments, go for it. But personally I'd paint the Monte. You can even re-paint it flat black if you really want to.

I think you made up your mind before you even posted the question though.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:53 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Repaint the Monte!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

yeah ive been asking myself this question for months. the only reason i would do it is because the stickers come off and then its down to the primer. and that just makes me so frustrated. loosing sleep over it. hopefully i could just get decals replaced over it so its not visible and it wont rust. as for the camaro i like how they look and the rwd 312hp. i hate how damn small they are though lmao. but im honestly leaning towards getting the monte repainted. i have no payments on it i own it 100%. and id hate to get rid of it. i wish i could have both . and the greatest thing about the monte is that its so unique. i hardly see them. the camaros are starting to turn into the mustang i see them like every turn. plus i do get a good amount of compliments on the monte in public haha nothing wrong with that! some guy i knew told me it was such a neat car and it thought it was so much cooler than camaros because theyre everywhere and the superchargers sweet lmao

im going at 2 to a shop like 30 min from my house to get an estimate on new decals and new paint. i just hope it works out unlike the last few shops that denied me because it was such a "liability" if they ruin the paint and theres no money in restriping.

i appreciate all your guys help in helping me! i will keep you guys posted for sure!

(oh flat black would be sweet. but i feel like id have to repaint the door jams and everything so itd match which would cost a bit more.)

Thanks again guys! means alot.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Buy the camaro and sell you monte to me for 1000 dollars Did you price having your car's paint repaired I too think I'd go that route but it it ultimately your decision good luck.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member

well guys its safe to say the montes here to stay. i just dropped it off at a shop to have all the stripes removed and put back on. Higher quality silver decals that WILL last and comes with a warrenty. costed me about $800 bucks all together but i feel its worth it. ill get it back sometime next week. it was def hard to leave it !!

Old 08-12-2011, 03:48 PM

Ouch, $800 just to have new stripes made and put on. Seems like a lot. Peace of mind is priceless though, glad you got it sorted.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member

yeah but its cheaper than having the whole car repainted. and this is the only place that will actually do the job. im happy so thats alll that matters !

Old 08-12-2011, 06:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

GOOD MOVE .. Now we'll need pictures next week also ...