Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

7 dead in likely drag-race crash

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Default RE: 7 dead in likely drag-race crash

[align=center]Sometimes, many times we Act before we Think,[/align][align=center]and[/align][align=center]Sometimes, many times we must pay for not Thinking : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Now that I'm a few months outa my teens, and[/align][align=center]I look back on some of my crazy stunts, I'm really[/align][align=center]lucky to still `be : ).[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]My grandfather preached to me to[/align][align=center]Think B-4 I acted.[&:].....I'm learning.[/align][align=center]I've learned that there are consequences for all my [/align][align=center]acts...., the good ones,and bad ones.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I hear/read everyday on the news of those that did not[/align][align=center]Think, before they acted. : ([/align][align=center]Sometimes, you don't get that 2nd chance : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]We live, and hopefully we learn from our mistakes,[/align][align=center]and the mistakes of others.[/align][align=center]Amen `Space[/align]

Old 02-18-2008, 06:58 PM

i wish i could say i have never done it But i cant

I used to race weekely at the old airport. the only thing we did diffrent was we would make sure there were folks watchign the roads and we had barricades to block the roads.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:30 AM

We cant blame the racers for the people being on the road. It was not racers that forced the people on the road. I know what happened was not right but we cant blame the racers for the people that jumped onto the road.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: bonang

We cant blame the racers for the people being on the road. It was not racers that forced the people on the road. I know what happened was not right but we cant blame the racers for the people that jumped onto the road.
If there wasn't a street race there to watch, those people would not have been there in the first place. Whether they were in the road or on the side of the road. There is no other reason for a crowd to be at the side of a highway at 3:40 AM. What else were they there for? Trying to get great seats for the next Santa Claus parade? I don't think so.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:44 AM

I used to street race all the time back in the early 70's(Yea....I'm older than most of us here!!). I don't think any of the people I raced with at the time thought at all about safety or legal consequences including myself.Young and dumb!!! As we all know your localtrack is the ONLY place to race.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can say the same thing as you Steve. But in my case it was the early 90's. I too raced people when I was young and dumb. I think most car enthusiasts have done it at one time or another. When my friends and I were doing it, we didn't think of the safety of others around us either, we just cared about not getting caught speeding by the cops. But now I too know that the only place for this is on the track, and not on public streets. And I think there's enough media coverage and internet coverage of street racing horror stories, to let everyone know now, how dangerous and dumb it is to street race.

Here in Ontario, Canada the government came up with a new law recently, in an effort to get people to slow down and to further discourage street racing. Now, if you're caught going 50 km/h (about 30 miles per hour) over the speed limit, your car is immediately impounded by police for a week and you get a mandatory court appearance, plus monetary fines. One guy from around here got busted doing about 90 MPH in a 40 MPH zone (I did the conversion to miles per hour for you). This was not on some back road with no traffic. This was on a major artery that is used as an international trade route to and from the U.S., and is populated by lots of large trucks, with many stores and restaurants lining both sides of the street.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:39 AM

In the big Nova Scotia Taz its 30kms over and you lose the car and your license for a week and hit with almost a 1g fine.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:15 PM

it seems really fishy that the car looks like a cop car and has no doors left on it. i heard a cop was comming up behind the racers with no lights on to catch them... thats just what i heard... if you saw a big cloud of smoke in front of you wouldnt you try to slow down so you didnt hit something?