Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

7 dead in likely drag-race crash

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Default 7 dead in likely drag-race crash

And this is why you keep it on the track!!!! I can't recommend this enough to people.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23194752

Old 02-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Default RE: 7 dead in likely drag-race crash

8 now dead according to the article. Must have been changed. But thats sad.

The worst is in the article it says a father, age 61, was killed too. He should know better than to stand in the middle of road, and not drag on a street.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for the story Dan.

This is the reason most auto forums including the Monte Carlo Forum discourage street racing.

[hr]

[align=right]Haraz N. Ghanbari / AP[/align]Emergencyworkers carry the body of a victim involved in Saturday's car crash on Indian Head Highway.
[/align]

Police: 8 dead in likely drag-race crash
Car plows into crowd that apparently gathered to watch the race, police say
[/align]MSNBC News Services
[/align]updated 1:51 p.m. ET, Sat., Feb. 16, 2008
[/align]
[/align]

[/align]ACCOKEEK, Md. - Police in Maryland say an eighth person has died after a car roared into a crowd that was watching a drag race on a suburban highway.

Authorities say the driver accidentally drove into the crowd but wasn't part of the race. The spectators had just watched two other cars speed off.

Seven people died at the scene. Police say the latest victim died at a hospital. Six others were injured.

Witnesses said they had just watched two cars in the illegal street race speed past when the driver of a white Crown Victoria without any lights on came up behind them and veered into the crowd.

Police told WRC reporters in Maryland that the drivers involved in the race were doing burnouts, spinning their tires in place and kicking up smoke. The cars took off and the people moved into the roadway to watch as the cars traveled away from the crowd.

The driver in the Crown Victoria was traveling on Route 210 and couldn't see the crowd in the roadway because of the smoke around 3:40 a.m., police reported to the NBC affiliate in Maryland.

"There were just bodies everywhere; it was horrible," said Crystal Gaines, 27, whose father was among the dead.

Gaines said she grabbed her child but could not help her father, William Gaines Sr., 61.

"He wasn't breathing, he wasn't moving," she said. "His body was in pieces."

Prince George's County Police Cpl. Clinton Copeland said a tractor-trailer came by shortly afterward may also have struck someone on the road as it tried to avoid the crash.

A 200-yard crime scene
"It's probably one of the worst scenes I've seen," Copeland said. "This is a situation that could have been avoided, and it's a very tragic situation."

Hours after the accident on the divided highway in Accokeek, bodies covered in white sheets were scattered along what police were calling a 200-yard crime scene. Some were in the road, while others were on the shoulder.

The sedan came to a rest on an embankment about 150 feet from where the crowd had been. It had a crumpled front and hood, and the roof had partially collapsed.

The driver of the white sedan had been interviewed and did not appear to be seriously hurt, but a passenger was among the dead, Police Capt. Donald Frick said.

Authorities were working to identify the victims by showing digital photos of them to bystanders who said loved ones had been hurt. John Courtney said after viewing one of the images that his brother, Mark, 33, was among the dead.

"He liked going to the race track, watching races," Courtney said. "It's going to take a toll on my family for a long time."

Investigators had "more questions than answers," Copeland said.

Route 210 has two lanes in each direction and traffic lights about every 150 to 200 yards in Accokeek, about 20 miles south of Washington. In that area, the road is flanked by some businesses but has little traffic in the early hours, Copeland said.

© 2008 MSNBC Interactive
[/align]URL: [URL=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23194752/][u][color=#810081]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23194752/[/co

Old 02-16-2008, 09:31 PM

This is why i don't talk about racing on the street. You all know it is not just the racer that is at fault,The spectators who go and watch is to blame also. If they had not come to watch they would still be around today..All is at fault in street racing on this one...

I do not believe in street racing. Or being a part of it..Such as a spectator.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:49 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I heard this on the radio yesterday morning.

How sad.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:34 PM

this is just one i have heard of recently.
they had one in Al. also that two guys are being charged with Murder for it. they were behind a school and lined up i know one was a mustang i dont remember what the other car was but the mustang went down the road and lost it. hitting a light pole and rolling several times.

in the process they killed a spectator the one that was holding one of the cameras that caught it all on tape. it was on U-Tube but it was removed and is now evidence in the case against the driver.

get this crap. even if you are going to be STUPID!! if something happens be at least human and stop to find out if they can be helped and also call for the folks that can help.

it amazes me that someone can witness a accident and still drive away to save your *** from a ticket for drag racing and maybe a your car impounded.
Believe me i would not care at that point of the car or the fines it would be well worth it to make sure the fellow racer,Friend,HUMAN BEING is still alive and OK.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES STREET RACE PLEASE!!!!! TAKE IT TO A TRACK AND BE SAFE!!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:08 PM

I dont get it. I dont street race but we can not blame the people that raced this time. It was not there fault. It was the Spectators that deceided to jump on the road. The Spectators jumped on the road, and a car came from behind on the highway that was not lighted and he hit people. Not the racers.

Everyone jumps at the throats of the racers but it was not there fault.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:33 AM

ORIGINAL: bonang

I dont get it. I dont street race but we can not blame the people that raced this time. It was not there fault. It was the Spectators that deceided to jump on the road. The Spectators jumped on the road, and a car came from behind on the highway that was not lighted and he hit people. Not the racers.

Everyone jumps at the throats of the racers but it was not there fault.
This one might not have been directly the racers fault but if this had been at a track then the spectators would have been in the stands and wouldn't have to worry about another car coming. It is still the fault of street racing.....take it to the track!!!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

TrickRacin, I was just going to say the same thing. [sm=exactly.gif]

If it wasn't for the two street racers, there wouldn't have been any reason for those people to be standing in the middle of a highway at 3:40 A.M.

Take it to the track!!!

Quick Reply: 7 dead in likely drag-race crash