General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Today was a drag, brake drag....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Today was a drag, brake drag....

So, for those keeping up to speed, I had another problem with the ongoing body work saga. I stopped by the shop after work. The guy took pics, I'll get a call tomorrow as to what they will do.

On the ride from the shop to home, I had the tire monitor claim low pressure (I've seen it over re-act for something as simple as 1 pound off and I just saw all 4 tires, all good). Well, I entered a 40 MPH zone, punched the gas and had a sensation I cannot begin to describe at the time. I freaked wondering "What the heck, trans drop, a real flat tire, what?". Eased into a parking lot ASAP. Tires were fine. I noticed one rim looked filthy (I just cleaned the Monte yesterday). It looked like a front rim after 2+ weeks of driving. And I had some smoke off the caliper.

I proceeded home gently. No hot rodding.

I spent the evening ripping things apart trying to figure this out (I rebuilt the brakes last spring, all new rotors and pads). Best I can find, signs the seal grabbed the piston too tight and between the seal and dust boot, the unit did not stay lubricated with brake fluid.

Pads are toast (they have MAYBE 5,000 miles on them).

Since the calipers are powder coated, I'm rebuilding them. Just ordered all the parts. UGH!

Race against time. Car show August 31st, brakes that need fixed and hopefully a final body shop repair. What a pain!

Old 08-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

dang that sucks! I hope you have some good luck getting everything done before then! Stuck calipers are no fun at all, I'm running on borrowed time myself the rear calipers are rusted to all hell & I'm in need of a whole rear brake overhaul.. I just hope it lasts until I get my brake upgrade together.. I may hold off the suspension for it.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Boy it seems when trouble comes it comes hard. Sometimes in 3's.... Thats crazy a caliper hung up like it did as I would bet you did a meticilous rebuild job. Oh well here you go again. Did the body shop manager take your complaint seriously or roll his eyes? Hope she is ready for the car show and learns to behave herself, these cars just seem to know when you have a few extra dollars and want some of it spent on them. Keep us posted bro....

Old 08-08-2013, 11:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

The guy I spoke with does the paper work and picture taking. The owner wanted to be there, but he has obligations after 5pm (and I work 8-5). But I asked the guy to find the problem spot (I let him know where abouts to looks, which side was good and which was bad). He found it rather quick and agreed that is not right and will talk with the owner tomorrow (I should get a call some time tomorrow).

As for the brake, best I can tell, the surface of the seal that rubs with the piston dried up preventing proper lubricated movement, hence it seizing up. It was a PAIN to get the piston out (they should not require being pounded on).