General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Surging RPM's Up & Down. Likely Causes???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Surging RPM's Up & Down. Likely Causes???

What are some reasons that the Engine would Surge? It happened to me and I thought it was related to the Cruise Control I was playing with. Earlier today, my wife had the car and reports to me that she experienced some Engine Surge this morning.

I replaced the Clogged Air Filter with a Brand New clean one.
I have 3 of the 6 Plugs changed for new ones. A different Brand and Type. I think the ones that came out were NGK Iridium. I replaced them with Champion Platinum Plus.

Is there something I need to look in to (obviously ... there is) -- I guess WHAT is it I should be checking?

All your thoughts and responses will be greatly appreciated.

Rick Massey

Old 12-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Default RE: Surging RPM's Up & Down. Likely Causes???

First, never just change one. Gap them all, change them all at the same time. Second, a surge, or a drop, might mean that they are gapped too far, and are misfiring.

Third, change your fuel filter. that would cause surging

And if all of those are done correctly, time to look at a new catalytic converter

Old 12-18-2007, 06:10 PM
rj
15 Year Member

If the surging is a new problem you need to get the remaining plugs changed out.

If the surging has happened before the new plugs any idea if an injector cleaner has ever been used in the car? Injectors do get gummed up. Even the pour in type cleaner helps.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member

The Manager at AutoZone sold me a set of Plugs that were Pre-gapped. He told me not to mess with them just put them in. The car is running fine, most of the time, it just that there has developed a surge that happened even before I replaced the Plugs. I think it time for me to get the car over to Dealer and see if there are any Trouble Codes to deal with. Since this is more of a family car than my own personal ride ... there are several members of my family that are using it.

Whatever it is ... its intermittent. Shutting down and re-starting the car usually re-sets what ever is not right ... (I think???)

Old 12-18-2007, 06:32 PM

I never trust pre-gaps. Always check them, just in case, with a gap tool you can get at the same autostore for a buck or two.

Also, if you don't see a Check Engine Light, there will be no codes, so don't bother

Old 12-18-2007, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member

No Light. I guess that means I have to get my tush in gear and get thost front plugs back out ... gap them ... and then get the engine tilted forward the coil pack removed and take the windshield out so I can reach down in and change THREE !!! darn plugs. Damn!

I'm glad that there's nothing else in the way of getting to the three rear Plugs!!! : )) <-- (Double chins)

Old 12-19-2007, 08:13 PM

lol, rear spark plugs take literally 3-4 minutes. You don't have to mess with disconnecting everything and bringing the engine forward...

Old 12-19-2007, 08:37 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i was going to change my plugs once awhile ago, i looked at the plug wire.. hadn't seen one like it. i pulled like hell on it and it barelly budged, my dad did too... nothing happening. what is the trick to pulling that wire off? i can bench 200 but i couldn't get that damn wire off.i was figuring it must be a trick and i was about to break something.. what do you do?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:40 PM

Pull like hell with a pair of spark plug pliers. You won't break anything, so just put your back into it. And the first time is the hardest, and you'll end up busting up your knuckles =). After that, it gets easier and easier to pull off. Trust me. Going from AL 605's to 104's to 103's to 104's back to 103's in the last few weeks has made me a pro. =)

Old 12-19-2007, 08:43 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I might come to PA and let you handle it then I'll mess with it one of these days...

Quick Reply: Surging RPM's Up & Down. Likely Causes???