Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
It doesn't hurt me, I'm Rich : )
10.00%
It hurts a little
45.00%
I've slowed down
0%
I'm taking the Bus/Train
0%
I Drink more & Smoke : )~
10.00%
It hurts a lot : (
10.00%
I just sit here & cry & take Web-Trips : (
25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

$ + $ Gas Prices $ + $

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 04:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: $ Gas Price Predictions $5 + WTF $

LATEST NEWS!

click pic to read
about cheap gas.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:47 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Josh,
I heard the same thing about NOT buying gas 05/15/07.

One of the nation's largest refineries, a BP PLC plant in Indiana that processes more than 400,000 barrels of oil per day, will not be operating at full capacity for several months due to unexpected repairs.

What a load of BS!!!
They always use this excuse to raise gas prices.

People we are being screwed and our government is setting back, letting it happen, and laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: wiz kidd

i guess there's some petition going around on the email's right now...
trying to get people everyone not to get gas on may 15
i think that would be a big hit for one day if we could get a huge chunk of people to not buy gas on the 15th...not that it would really make that much of a difference...but it may do something
This idea simply doesn't work as people fill up extra the next day. eg you use 1/4 tank per day, instead of filling up a half tank one day, you fill up 3/4 of a tank the next.

The only way to lower a commodity in a free market is to simply not buy from one competitor until it's loss adds up. EG only buy from BP and don't buy a drop from Exxon. Once Exxon lowers its price to around $1.25, you start buying from them again. If they raise, you stop. Once that is set, you purchase strictly from them and the others will follow suit.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator

i think that would be a big hit for one day if we could get a huge chunk of people to not buy gas on the 15th...not that it would really make that much of a difference...but it may do something
This idea simply doesn't work as people fill up extra the next day. eg you use 1/4 tank per day, instead of filling up a half tank one day, you fill up 3/4 of a tank the next.

The only way to lower a commodity in a free market is to simply not buy from one competitor until it's loss adds up. EG only buy from BP and don't buy a drop from Exxon. Once Exxon lowers its price to around $1.25, you start buying from them again. If they raise, you stop. Once that is set, you purchase strictly from them and the others will follow suit.
I 100% agree with you 04. But I HAVE to drive 50 miles a day 7 days a week. Otherwise I wouldn't collect a paycheck....and there are 8 million other people in LA that are in the same boat that I am. What do we do now?

I say that we cut out traveling. Traveling is the only thing that makes us fill up more than 1 time a day.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:32 AM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator

I 100% agree with you 04. But I HAVE to drive 50 miles a day 7 days a week. Otherwise I wouldn't collect a paycheck....and there are 8 million other people in LA that are in the same boat that I am. What do we do now?

I say that we cut out traveling. Traveling is the only thing that makes us fill up more than 1 time a day.
I have a 50 mile one way trip to work, 5 days a week. so I put 500 miles in each week just to go to work and home, not inculding any other trips I have to make.

Mike.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

that would be a good idea too to buy from only 1 gas station then the others will drop their prices..then switch..lol

but then you get the problem where most of the gas in the long run all comes from the same place...so the gas companies are still making the money ..its just the stations that lose...and they're not really making money right now..its the gov't and the gas companies..

Old 05-10-2007, 12:09 AM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

You can still fill up each day, as consumers we just need to choose a select brand of stations to use. EG you can fill up everyday at BP's, Shells, Amaco's. Do not ever buy from the Citco, Exxon or Mobile Stations. This forces the later 3 to decrease prices.

We ran the Citco out of town doing this which is a good thing, because his stations gouged constantly and sold watered down gas... Yes, cars actually stalled shortly after filling up from them. The BP's in our area gave good prices, but actually have actuallygiven better prices since due to lack of competition. On average they are about 2 cents less than they would have been when Citco was in town. EG the city Oshkosh would sell for 2.25, and the BP would also sell for 2.25 in Fond du Lac. Now they sell for 2.23 compared to Oshkosh still at 2.25. Actually now its 3.14, but Oshkosh is 3.16.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:14 AM

that would be a good idea too to buy from only 1 gas station then the others will drop their prices..then switch..lol

but then you get the problem where most of the gas in the long run all comes from the same place...so the gas companies are still making the money ..its just the stations that lose...and they're not really making money right now..its the gov't and the gas companies..
Yeah, the gas does come mainly from the same places, but I beleive if you boycott one of those "places" they will need to drop price. I know Citco is entirely owned by the Venezualan goverment (?) or at least is exclusively from Venezuala. If you stop buying that brand, they will drop their price because their demand isn't as high anymore. If stations start droping off, they will notice the issue and fix it - lower price.

Sure this sucks for the station owners that go out, but I've seen some with some fat wallets so I'm not too concerned.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:15 AM

Oh, and the reason I chose Citco, see above, and their government as been cocky to the US so I avoid them.

Exxon Mobile is another to avoid as they are recording record profit.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:31 AM

FYI If you want to know about the whole May 15th thing .. Go to Snopes.com and do a search for it. The problem isn't going to stop just because no one puts gas in on the 15th. they'll just either do it the day before or the day after. Really the only people that get hurt by it are the station owners. Yes I agree that they are over charging but it isn't up to the individual manager/owners or the station. They have to do what the corporation tells them. This whole "don't buy gas on a certain day" tactic has been tried before in the past and has never really made that much of an effect. IMO if we as a whole want to make an impact we need to change our habits/dependencies as much as possible.

Just my 2 cents. I'll get off of my soap box now.

Quick Reply: $ + $ Gas Prices $ + $