New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Rumble noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 08:42 PM
Default Rumble noise

04MC SS From a dead stop, if I drive it normal - its just fine, nothing wrong, when I get on it, theres this growl like teeth on two gears skipping over each other or the sound of a car going really fast down a dirt road, and it dont move for 2-3 seconds. Could this be transmission issues? Also, while driving, the tach is bouncing up and down like crazy. I love this car, but I have worked on it more than had fun in it.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Wingo
when I get on it, theres this growl like teeth on two gears skipping over each other or the sound of a car going really fast down a dirt road, and it dont move for 2-3 seconds. Could this be transmission issues?
If the engine is revving up, but you've got zero foreward movement for seconds, then it has to be some kind of transmission issue. I assume fluid level is good?

Have you dropped the pan since this started? If you drop the pan / cut open the filter and see debris (actual metal, not just clutch wear) then the trans will need rebuilt. The things I can think if that would make grinding / growling would likely be producing debris.

What kind of mileage is on it?

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 09-28-2020 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:46 AM

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking trans. Never been serviced and its at 141k. Just by chance, if its the transmission, can this cause problems that sound like engine misfiring, not idleing correctly, muffler and pipes

Old 09-28-2020, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Wingo
Thank you for your reply. I was thinking trans. Never been serviced and its at 141k.
Probably worth a shot to do a fluid / filter change to make sure its not fluid starved due to a plugged filter.

But honestly if youre hearing grinding sounds also and the trans has never been touched, youre probably in for a rebuild or replacement if you dont just scrap the car.

Just by chance, if its the transmission, can this cause problems that sound like engine misfiring, not idleing correctly, muffler and pipes
No, not generally. The torque converter (assuming its not damaged) decouples the engine and transmission which is why you can come to a complete stop while the engine still idles away. If youve got a misfire at idle, theres really no way the trans could be inducing that.