Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Weird loud chirping noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Default Weird loud chirping noise

I have an 2000 SS and I have this loud *** chirping noise that comes and goes while Im driving. It sounds like a huge cricket is trapped under my hood! Its not my belts I changed those. What is it!?

Old 04-05-2007, 01:16 AM
Default RE: Weird loud chirping noise

More information would probably help. miles, engine size, etc. Try to narrow down the circumstances of the noice. Speeding up, slowing down, a/c on or off, heat on /off, Does the frequency of the noise change with RPM/MPH or is it always constant? Turning, driving straight, going up/down a hill, etc.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:55 AM

I Have sumthing similiar going wrong, and dont know what it is. Its not a loud chirp--but a slow droning noise that dies away when the car slows down but gets louder when i speed up. It almost sounds like when an airplane is flying overhead..what the heck is it?

Old 04-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: sinceire

I have an 2000 SS and I have this loud *** chirping noise that comes and goes while Im driving. It sounds like a huge cricket is trapped under my hood! Its not my belts I changed those. What is it!?
yours sounds like a bearing in one of the pulley's is starting to go...again i think we need a little bit more info to tell for sure...

let us know whats goin on, and all your info

Old 04-05-2007, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: rcohen

I Have sumthing similiar going wrong, and dont know what it is. Its not a loud chirp--but a slow droning noise that dies away when the car slows down but gets louder when i speed up. It almost sounds like when an airplane is flying overhead..what the heck is it?

yours sounds like a hub assembly going out...not 100% sure on this...but thats what it sound like to me, because if it was something in the belt system it would be there constantly

Old 04-05-2007, 12:15 PM

It could be the alternator bearings.Try taking a long screwdriver and with the car running place the end on the alternator and hold your ear against the handle endto listen.You can listen to any accessory this way.If the noise is inside there,you will hear it.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:52 PM

rcohen, I can relate to your problem. And as Wizz said, probably the hub bearings. Especially, if you havesome miles on the car. Had mine replaced, both sides,two weeks ago. Sounded like I was drag racing a four wheeler...or someone with super swampers riding beside me....or one of those crop dusters flying above me. Around $500 for parts, labor - both sides.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:27 PM

Ok its a v6 with 113k miles on it and the noise is sporadic. It has became louder when I turn the AC on. But it normally happens when Im just sitting at a light just idling and if I press the PETAL it goes away for a few minutes every time. Pressing the gas makes it go away until I come to a stop or a low idle.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

I vote for alternator.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member

yup...probably something to do with the pulley or the gear going into it...but unfortunately you have to replace the whole thing...can't get just pieces of it

Quick Reply: Weird loud chirping noise