New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Replace trans or do away with monte?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 09:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've never had experience with an AAMCO, but given there is one near me that has been in business for a long time (over 15 years), some of the stores must be doing something right.
Obviously, people here have had or know someone who had bad experiences with the AAMCO chain.

Since it's a large part the people who make the difference, you may want to find out if that store has had high turn over or if anyone has used that store. If you're going to take it to your local AAMCO, vet it like any other shop you would consider.

A non-AAMCO shop near my home that has an awesome reputation (and I have personally used along with friends and family), I think has one guy that does the actual trans rebuilds and other people that do all the other non-rebuild work. Heck a friend of mine had the trans to his '94 Formula Firebird rebuilt at that shop, he parked it over the winter, in the spring it was having a problem. He was outside the warranty period and he expected to pay for the repair they had to do in the spring, when he asked, they said it's clear from the mileage on the car that needed to be covered under warranty. That's a stand up business!

Old 12-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Love Aand War
@zippy02 Yes I'm online now searching. Its like a flip of a coin. First thing tomorrow I am going to Autozone and Advance auto. Yeah I'm in Virginia in the Air force. I'm in the medical field. Chevy calls me all the time wanting my car...they only way I'm giving that one up is when they come back out with the new SS. My dad went to a NASCAR race last year when he seen the model of the potential 2014 or 2015 Monte.
Welcome from an old Salty Dog, X-Navy man!
My question is, what are the resources on the base. And have you talked to your fellow Airmen.
I know they do not have a Trans shop on the base but they do have a list of businesses not to use. They may Also have a list of recommended Auto shops. Do you have a Auto Hobby Shop on base! The Guys there might be able to point you in the right direction as Well.

I'm having problems with the trans in my 02 SS as Well. While at a Midas for my exhaust, I found a trans shop right behind the Midas.
Frank, the owner, reccognizing the mechanic in me, took me under a Buick he was working on an showed me what I could do to check my trans, and even showed me a 4T65e he was working on, on his work bench. He talked to me Mechanic to Mechanic, he will have my business come Feb.
That's is what you are looking for in a shop, he walked me around, showed me what he is currently working on, and didn't talk down to me. The Midas guy was just the opposite, So he will not see my hard earned $$$ or my precious Monte.
Start with your resources on the base and work out from there!

Last edited by JC Colon; 12-26-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:12 PM

LOL @ potentials :-) ..I'm about 30 min away from VA beach.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I've never had experience with an AAMCO, but given there is one near me that has been in business for a long time (over 15 years), some of the stores must be doing something right.
Obviously, people here have had or know someone who had bad experiences with the AAMCO chain.

Since it's a large part the people who make the difference, you may want to find out if that store has had high turn over or if anyone has used that store. If you're going to take it to your local AAMCO, vet it like any other shop you would consider.

A non-AAMCO shop near my home that has an awesome reputation (and I have personally used along with friends and family), I think has one guy that does the actual trans rebuilds and other people that do all the other non-rebuild work. Heck a friend of mine had the trans to his '94 Formula Firebird rebuilt at that shop, he parked it over the winter, in the spring it was having a problem. He was outside the warranty period and he expected to pay for the repair they had to do in the spring, when he asked, they said it's clear from the mileage on the car that needed to be covered under warranty. That's a stand up business!
Yes, its the chain and some places the workers. But i did find out they do a soft rebuild. Only rebuild the parts thats broken the other parts aren't rebuilt. This is where people get screwed. if you don't live near a AAMCO then you are screwed if it goes bad.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Welcome from an old Salty Dog, X-Navy man!
My question is, what are the resources on the base. And have you talked to your fellow Airmen.
I know they do not have a Trans shop on the base but they do have a list of businesses not to use. They may Also have a list of recommended Auto shops. Do you have a Auto Hobby Shop on base! The Guys there might be able to point you in the right direction as Well.

I'm having problems with the trans in my 02 SS as Well. While at a Midas for my exhaust, I found a trans shop right behind the Midas.
Frank, the owner, reccognizing the mechanic in me, took me under a Buick he was working on an showed me what I could do to check my trans, and even showed me a 4T65e he was working on, on his work bench. He talked to me Mechanic to Mechanic, he will have my business come Feb.
That's is what you are looking for in a shop, he walked me around, showed me what he is currently working on, and didn't talk down to me. The Midas guy was just the opposite, So he will not see my hard earned $$$ or my precious Monte.
Start with your resources on the base and work out from there!
Nope, none at all. we have a terrible firestone that is crap. always breaking everyone's cars. The Mr. Transmission/Milex shop is pretty good with showing and telling. Looks like im going to pay the 2300. thats 1740 plus labor which is pretty cheap for VA.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
I like L67SS's advice to, the local parts shops could point you in the right direction.

Hey hey a SS model would be B.A. to have, I will be so jealous of you. Have read a lot of good reviews about that platform. Be to fun and exciting to have one of them for sure.

A Zoomie in a medical slot. What a way to skate through the military... LOL jk, I used to watch infantry medics in the field, hump their ruck and then a second full medical kit. But the good thing back in the rear they were always exempt from additional duties. Looks like your playing your cards right. create yourself a future by using Uncle Sam's Jam as a spring board into it.
LOL yeah after 6 years of Aircraft maintenance loading munitions/ammo being outside in the hot or cold the minute i was given the chance to change careers i took it. honestly its a bit to politically correct tho. Medics are really soft.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Hey man a lot of places near the bases give great discounts to mlitary people and the guys on base will know what places are good. I'm stationed at mchord in washington and the one near here gave a 30% discount. Welcome to the forum man!
Not in VA !! Have to beg for discounts and search hard for great workers. ...

Old 01-23-2015, 11:04 AM

I know this is an old thread. I am glad I found it though. I have a P0742 code on my transmission and I thought it was fixed once I had the TCC solenoid replaced at my now old job. It was fine for about 3 days when the problem came back in full force. I was going to suck it up and bring my 2000 LS to AAMCO, but after reading what I have been reading on this thread, that's a no no. I will have to deal with all the extra tim to get it to the other side of town to a shop that's been around for 50 years and comes with a 3 year/ unlimited mileage warranty. I would imagine that that shop would be cheaper than AAMCO too. Thoughts everyone?

Old 01-23-2015, 11:23 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Might be worth the money to have it towed to the other side of town?!

Old 01-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wish you the best of luck with your ride.... Thanks for your service!

Navy vet myself