New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Replace trans or do away with monte?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Unhappy Replace trans or do away with monte?

2007 v8 @ 100,000 miles with no reverse mr. transmission says i need another trans.. Can I get it rebuilt? what is the price range they should charge to replace or rebuild my trans? I've been given 2600 at amaco and 2300 at Mr. transmission. then theirs these side bar places for 525

Old 12-25-2013, 10:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First, please don't post this same question in more then one thread (I just deleted a duplicate post).

Second, the prices can vary. First things first, you need to locate a reputable shop. Not all shops are equal. Find an experienced transmission guy.

I'm not sure, but I think your Monte uses an 4T65 transmission? A shop with a great reputation with that trans is Triple Edge Performance (TEP).

In my location, I had a price of $1700 a couple years ago to rebuild a 4T65 on a 3400 powered Impala. And that was from a reputable shop.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:12 PM

Id either have it rebuilt or install a good used one. 2007 montes are somewhat rare. Roughly 20k TOTAL were built. Thats all option levels. Lt 3.5, 3.9 and ss 5.3 models. Havent heard any issues on the engines on these cars.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello and Welcome to the forum. Is your 07 Monte still in relatively good condition other than the tranny probelm? If so and it's yours and you don't owe a small fortune on it still, I would keep her, these are pretty sweet cars overall.

I would stay away from AMACO and places like major national tranny franchise's. They tend to B.S. you and charge TOP dollar for the work. I would bet you could get this swap out done for about $1500 if you look around. I had a rebuilt tranny from a local shop that advertises online in our local Want Ads installed in my 4x4 GMC Sierra, $650 tranny plus $600 labor and it has worked just fine for almost 3 years now.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:18 PM

Yeah i would hate to see such a sweet car get junked over a tranny. Plus usually most shops will garrantee a tranny rebuild for 1-3 yearz

Old 12-25-2013, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
First, please don't post this same question in more then one thread (I just deleted a duplicate post).

Second, the prices can vary. First things first, you need to locate a reputable shop. Not all shops are equal. Find an experienced transmission guy.

I'm not sure, but I think your Monte uses an 4T65 transmission? A shop with a great reputation with that trans is Triple Edge Performance (TEP).

In my location, I had a price of $1700 a couple years ago to rebuild a 4T65 on a 3400 powered Impala. And that was from a reputable shop.
First, My apology,but thanks so much for responding. Just trying to get some answers quickly, Need to make a decision by Monday. This were my father's specialty but he passed back in Feb. So I'm pretty desperate for help. He always told me to keep this car....at least til the 2014 decides to surface.

Second, I'm not from this area so its hit or miss, I'm only stationed here. Most people complain about their reputation place like AAMCO are not all that reliable. And their warranty isn't that long.

there is a place here that says they can do the trans for 1800. How do I go about making sure they are indeed using a reliable trans and not some junkyard part? I mean they can tell me anything right. I just know people always say you get what you pay for.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:27 PM

@ ZIPPY02, l67ss Thanks for responding,
I have had NO troubles with my suga plum...this is my second Monte and yes the 06 trans went as well. But AAmco overcharged me so i won't go back to them(another state). Then it was totaled out. i think I'm going to find a mom and pop place for a rebuild price. Mr. Transmission was offering a 3.5 yr warranty and they are USA wide.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:37 PM

See what kind of warrantee they offer. If less than six monthes, avoid like the herpes. Make sure to get any warrantee in writing. Avoid "conditional" warrantees if possible. And theres the old stand by, ask around. Avoid shops with no reputation. Not that their bad , but if they were great theyed have some some sort of rep. If you dont know anybody, make the rounds to all the part storez, the clerks talk to a lot of people. Finally bs with the person at the potential shop. Any red flags pop up, try another shop. Usually a good tech will b friendly without bein a kissass.
Originally Posted by Love Aand War
First, My apology,but thanks so much for responding. Just trying to get some answers quickly, Need to make a decision by Monday. This were my father's specialty but he passed back in Feb. So I'm pretty desperate for help. He always told me to keep this car....at least til the 2014 decides to surface.

Second, I'm not from this area so its hit or miss, I'm only stationed here. Most people complain about their reputation place like AAMCO are not all that reliable. And their warranty isn't that long.

there is a place here that says they can do the trans for 1800. How do I go about making sure they are indeed using a reliable trans and not some junkyard part? I mean they can tell me anything right. I just know people always say you get what you pay for.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had a bad experience with AAMCO and my CJ7 years back, only after reading customer reviews did I learn they were bad news. Why not go online and look up tranny or automotive repair shops on Super pages, White pages and such and read customer reviews for some shops. Could be a decent way to find a lead for a good reputable shop. See if you can find a car club in your area online and get in touch with them and see if they would recommend a local shop they trust. So your stationed where? You are in the military I take it? What branch and what do you do? A few of us on the forum have been in and or are still in.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:48 PM

@zippy02 Yes I'm online now searching. Its like a flip of a coin. First thing tomorrow I am going to Autozone and Advance auto. Yeah I'm in Virginia in the Air force. I'm in the medical field. Chevy calls me all the time wanting my car...they only way I'm giving that one up is when they come back out with the new SS. My dad went to a NASCAR race last year when he seen the model of the potential 2014 or 2015 Monte.

Quick Reply: Replace trans or do away with monte?