New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Questions based on performance(Supercharged)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:07 AM

quick question, what does top swapping mean???

Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Taking the top half (from the heads up) from a supercharged engine and putting it on your lower half of the l36 to keep the higher compression ratings from the block.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Habbibie
yea there is alot of things you could do to get the loud exhaust, with or without mufflers, mine is an LS with an SS exhaust set up, a cherry bomb ressonator, magnaflow high flow cat, dual flowmaster super 44's and its LOUD.... loud enough to scare most mustang and camaro guys.
oh really??? nice, see i want that mean muscle sound. i love the sound of power

Old 02-24-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by zjerry
I have 2005 Monte Carlo SS supercharged , My wife has 2005 Impala SS supercharged . Love both , Just remember they take premium gas..That turns alot of people off..because of cost.$$
they take premium??? oh wow i did not know that at all, yeah i may just stick to getting an SS, insurance is already high for me because i am you. so is there a big differance between the supercharge and the SS??

Old 02-24-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by turbo monte
my honest opinion i say trade your monte on a non sc 3800 then top swap it. by doing this it will keep your insurance down a little and also the non sc cars are cheaper than the sc cars. even after doing a top swap im bet it will still be cheaper. but if u dont feel comfortable doing the swap then i say just buy the sc 3800 from the start because by the time u pay someone to do the swap you will be spending more money.
ok thanks, whats the differance between turbocharged and supercharged.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cream03Luxury
ok thanks, whats the differance between turbocharged and supercharged.
A turbocharger is an exhaust driven power adder and looks something like this:

A supercharger is a belt driven power adder and looks something like this:

Some 3800's come with a supercharger (either a Gen 3 Eaton M90, or a Gen V Eaton M90). The supercharged 3800's make a bit more power then the NA 3800's and have MUCH more potential modifying wise. If you're NA, you don't want to stay NA (been there done that).

No Series I, II, or III 3800 came with a turbocharger, so you will either have to do a custom build or buy a kit through a 3800 vendor such as ZZPerformance. If you plan on making anything more then about 300whp, then you should go turbocharged due to the cost of modifying a s/c 3800 vs a t/c 3800. Going turbo is expensive at first, but after that you could make anything from 300whp to the ZZP drag car's 870whp.

If you're NA and plan on doing either a top swap or going turbo, you will HAVE to have your PCM retuned (dyno-tuned is optimal), and you shouldn't run anything less then 91 octane, but E85 is the best fuel bang for the buck.

Hope that helps. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome to the forums and happy modding!

Old 02-27-2012, 07:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zipper
A turbocharger is an exhaust driven power adder and looks something like this:

A supercharger is a belt driven power adder and looks something like this:

Some 3800's come with a supercharger (either a Gen 3 Eaton M90, or a Gen V Eaton M90). The supercharged 3800's make a bit more power then the NA 3800's and have MUCH more potential modifying wise. If you're NA, you don't want to stay NA (been there done that).

No Series I, II, or III 3800 came with a turbocharger, so you will either have to do a custom build or buy a kit through a 3800 vendor such as ZZPerformance. If you plan on making anything more then about 300whp, then you should go turbocharged due to the cost of modifying a s/c 3800 vs a t/c 3800. Going turbo is expensive at first, but after that you could make anything from 300whp to the ZZP drag car's 870whp.

If you're NA and plan on doing either a top swap or going turbo, you will HAVE to have your PCM retuned (dyno-tuned is optimal), and you shouldn't run anything less then 91 octane, but E85 is the best fuel bang for the buck.

Hope that helps. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome to the forums and happy modding!
this is all very true good write up!

also the turbo is ran off of exhaust so its free power making more horsepower, but the sc is ran by belt from the crank so it actually takes a little power to make more.

if you are looking for all out major hp then turbo is the only way to go. a stock engine with a intercooled turbo kit can get you around 300hp with a good tune, it would take engine work to see this on an sc build.

to go turbo it does cost more but the end results are worth every penny. i also suggest intercooling with the turbo kit from the start.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 AM

ok, thanks, this is alot of info
one question, what does NA mean? and could i do all this with my 3400 series? i may decide to just keep my car due to insurance diffrence and gas.
but can i do all this to my LS?

Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

N/A stands for Naturally Aspirated, meaning the engine is responsible for bringing in the amount of air it does, there is no outside help, such as a supercharger or turbo.

There aren't "kits" for your 3400 like the 3800, so doing that yourself is going to require all custom piping.