New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Ignition Tumbler stuck on my 2003

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Default Ignition Tumbler stuck on my 2003

I went to start my 2003 monte Carlo today and the key will not turn in the tumbler. I have always done my own mechanical work on my vehicles. Is replacing the ignition tumbler something that would be more mechanical or electrical / computer tech ?????

Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've seen where the key does not turn completely to the OFF position if the shifter is not fully in park. I have also seen a low battery prevent you from removing a key. Never seen the tumbler frozen up...

Old 06-21-2012, 09:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I found this online. the link has pictures 2004 monte carlo: ignition cylinder..my cylinder wont turn - JustAnswer
how do i replace the ignition cylinder on my 2004 monte carlo? my cylinder wont turn to the on position cause its damaged
Submitted: 1122 days and 10 hours ago.
Category: Chevy Status: CLOSED

Posted by Chris 1122 days and 10 hours ago.
Response From Expert

Hello <uCustomerLet me get the procedure and diagrams for you. Just one moment

Accepted Answer

Disconnect the battery ground cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
Remove the steering column filler panel. Refer to Steering Column Opening Filler Replacement .
Remove the knee bolster bracket. Refer to Driver Knee Bolster Bracket Replacement .
Remove the instrument panel (I/P) cluster trim plate. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Bezel Replacement .
Remove the ignition switch bolts.
Lower the ignition switch away from the instrument carrier.
Insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder. Turn the key to the ON/RUN position.
Depress the retainer to release the transaxle park/lock cable. Remove the park/lock cable from the ignition switch by pulling on the cable.
Important: You cannot remove the PasslockTM electrical connector until the lock cylinder is removed.
Depress and hold the detent on the bottom of the ignition switch in order to release the ignition lock cylinder. Remove the ignition lock cylinder with the key.

Disconnect the PasslockTM electrical connector.
Disconnect the electrical connectors.

Use the following procedure if the ignition switch lock cylinder is seized or won't rotate:
12.1. Protect the immediate work area with suitable material such as clean shop towels or a clean fender cover.
12.2. Locate the surface for the release button (2) for the ignition switch lock cylinder on the plastic ignition switch housing. Center punch a location (1) on the rib approximately 3/8 inch reward, toward the key entry end, from the cylinder release button.
12.3. Carefully drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing with a 1/8-inch drill bit.
12.4. Using a 9/32-inch drill bit, carefully drill a larger hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the surface of the ignition switch lock cylinder, to break the release button retaining spring.
12.5. Remove portions of the broken spring from the hole using a small suitable tool.
12.6. Grasp the ignition switch lock cylinder and remove the cylinder from the switch housing.
12.7. Remove any plastic flash from the drilling operation, and using compressed air blow out the ignition switch assembly.
12.8. Follow service manual procedures when cylinder coding is required. Refer to Key and Lock Cylinder Coding in General Information.
Thank you for using Just Answer. If this information was helpful please choose the ACCEPT button from menu so I can get paid for my time. If their is any others info needed I would be glad to assist.

Expert: Chris
Pos. Feedback: 100.0 %
Accepts: 23
Answered: 5/26/2009
ASE Certified Technician
GM certified Technician
Ask this Expert a Question >

Posted by Chris 1122 days and 10 hours ago.
Expert's Answer

And for installation here is the procedure.

If the lock cylinder would not rotate or was seized, perform the following procedure:
1.1. Install the new ignition switch lock cylinder as required by rotating both the cylinder and the ignition switch to the ON position.
1.2. Push the ignition switch lock cylinder into the ignition switch housing until fully seated.
1.3. You may have to slightly depress the release button as the button passes by the 9/32-in hole previously drilled in the ignition switch housing.

Connect the electrical connectors.
Connect the PasslockTM electrical connector.
Connect the park/lock cable to the ignition switch.

Turn the key to the ON/RUN position. Install the ignition lock cylinder into the ignition switch. If you turned the key slightly while removing the lock cylinder, you may have to align the white colored ignition switch rotor (1) with the lock cylinder (2). You can rotate the ignition switch rotor (1) with your finger.
Remove the key.

Position the ignition switch to the instrument carrier.
Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
Install the ignition switch bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).
Install the trim plate bezel to the I/P cluster. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Bezel Replacement .
Install the knee bolster bracket. Refer to Driver Knee Bolster Bracket Replacement .
Install the steering column filler panel. Refer to Steering Column Opening Filler Replacement .
Connect the battery ground cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.

Thank you for using Just Answer. If this information was helpful please choose the ACCEPT button from menu so I can get paid for my time. If their is any others info needed I would be glad to assist

Read more: 2004 monte carlo: ignition cylinder..my cylinder wont turn - JustAnswer 2004 monte carlo: ignition cylinder..my cylinder wont turn - JustAnswer