New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

1982 (267) Vaccum

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Question 1982 (267) Vaccum

I have a Chilton manual but ready to throw it out the window. I bought a 1982 Monte Carlo and have been told it has a 267, 305, and a 350. I looked at the sticker that is on there an it says 4.4 which is a 267. My problem is that the person that I bought the car from has vacuum lines running in different directions than where they need to be. Ex: he has a vacuum line running from the thermostat to the carb. I know that water and gas does not mix.
I have a vacuum diagram in the Chilton repair manual but can not make heads or tails out of it. I will send pictures of the mess that I took upon. I took out the Smog pump along with some the A.I.R. system as well. I just need some advice on how and where to connect all of the vacuum lines that will work with the new carb when I get it home and ready to install. The old carb is a Rochester Dual Jet 210. That one is getting yanked out and a new carb being put into place of it. Some info on how to as properly hook all of the vacuum lines and some other odds and ends.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Greetings!

There shold be a label underhood that shows the original routing of the vacuum lines, but only portions of it will be valid since you have removed some of the emission components. As far as where to connect vacuum lines on a new carb goes you need to examine their locations on the original carb first, then connect them to the new carb in a location that offers the same type of vacuum. Anything connected below the throttle plate receives vacuum at idle and cruise while connections above the throttle plate receive vacuum only when the throttle plate is open. Some vacuum lines may run through what's called a ported vacuum switch. This allows vacuum to pass only under certain engine temp conditions. Tracing and correcting the routing can be frustrating, but just take your time and do 1 line at a time.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum. I don't envy your problem. You're obviously dealing with some custom engine work. Which is always frustrating in older cars. Especially when it's common for engines to be swapped out for something that may not have originally been in the car.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:23 AM

Thank you Taz 03SSLE and Taz. I have been waiting for the new carb to come in and it is a bit different than the one that is on the car. I ordered a different one and hoping it will work on it. Here is the new one that I ordered from the parts store.

and here is the old one that was suppose to be for the same car.

I hope that the first one will work without those two electrical connectors. I got most of the vacuums in place so I will hopefully find out today if it will fire or not.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:05 AM

Have a question for anyone here. On my 1982 Monte Carlo is the Thermostatic Vacuum Switch required or can I take that one off the car and toss it in the can? And there is another part I think it is a sensor of some sort that has an electrical connection is also on top where the thermostat goes at. It has a total of two items sticking on the top of it. I know one of em is the Thermostatic Vacuum Switch and that other I don't know.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:59 AM

I did the same thing with my 86 ls with a 305. You need vacuum for the brakes, the heater/ax controls, distributer, pcv valve, and vacuum resevoir. I ended going high performance by the time I was done.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Default Research

I just did some online research for some parts that are on my 1982 Monte Carlo. I finally came across some sites that have some names for some parts to where I can see if they are required or I can just block them off and not worry about it. One of them are
1) CCV - Canister Control Valve
2) EFE Purge Valve
3) MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor
4) MCS - Mixture Control Solenoid
5) TPS - Throttle Position Sensor
6) TVS - Thermostatic Vacuum Switch
And I did finally found someone who has A.I.R. (Air injection Reaction) tube plugs
I have been to every auto parts store and junk yards and no one had them at all. I can not afford to buy some new headers for the 267 engine so I am going to plug them off at the moment till I save up for some better headers. I am not required by law to have these for the emissions test in my state. If there are any other Emissions stuff that can come off please let me know. But also please let me know if the ones that I have listed can come off and still operate the car with out those.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:53 AM

You can use the plugs for the manifold but what i learned is that the emissions controls work in unison to make the car run properly. You take it all off but you will need a new carb and an upgraded ignition system is recomended. What happens is you end up putting high performance parts on it and by the time your done it would have been better to put in a 350 cu small block and cheaper. I wish you the best and god bless.