Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

keys stuck in the ignition

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Default keys stuck in the ignition

Ok i just bought my monte carlo Lt 2 months ago with 24,000 miles and sence then ive put 13,000 on it.
and now my keys are stuck in the ignition its out of warrenty so they wont fix it and I had to pay a lock smith $50 to show me a button in the case around the steering colom to get them out trying to find anyone that knows a way to fix it chevy said they would look at it and try to find out whats wrong with it but they want $100 an hour just to find out whats wrong with it and thats outrageous the car still turns over I drive it around but cant get it to turn all the way back without pushing the button with a Pen so if anyone has an idea it would be appriciated thanks.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Default RE: keys stuck in the ignition

What year?

Old 06-23-2007, 11:00 AM

I'd pull the lock cylinder and examine it for burrs or other mechanical problems. There has to be a reason it is sticking in the first place and it is usually mechanical.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:21 PM

It's an 06

Old 06-25-2007, 07:09 PM

ORIGINAL: ltcarlo420

It's an 06
Have you verified it is out of warranty? When someone buys a new car they can opt to get an extended warranty on it and that follows the car. If the last owner opted for the 100,000 one then you're covered.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:08 PM

screw that, you shouldn't have to pay a dime. If your dealer was worth the ground they sit on, they just fudge the miles... it's only a year old!

Old 06-25-2007, 10:49 PM

I don't know if this has any bearing on the problem yourhaving, butafter I bought mine, I would take the key out of the ignition and when I opened the door the door chime would go off and my remote start wouldn't work.I went to the chevy dealer about this and they told me that they had a service bulletin (not an actual recall)on the 06's that they were having this issue. I have to wonder if maybe the key sticking in the ignition could be part of this problem? Might be worth looking into.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:43 PM

Thats sounds like a possiblity and what pisses me off the most about the whole situation is that I bought the car almost brand new 23,000 miles on it and im in the military so my wife drives 200 miles to come get me in it so it gets some miles on it every weekend and there was 38,XXX some odd miles on it and they said it was out of warrenty it pisses me off cause I like the car and its new and im fealing ghetto haveing to stick a pen in the stearing weel case to get my keys and i think it might me the same thing as the guy above said cause when the keys are stuck it does the chime and yeah it wont remote start unless i do the button to turn it all the way back to take the keys out and even then usually i have to push the button twice to turn on the alarm but now like 1 push and it locks and honks the horn real weired but im working on talking to there corporate office about the situation.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

@ itcarlo420 - where is that button? if you don't mind, my 06' lt v6 3.9liter is doing the same exact thing yours is doing at 1st i thought it was the battery but everything else my headlights, speakerbox, and starter works fine

Old 05-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

@ itcarlo420 about your horn i was unable to determine the cause but my horn started sounding really weak almost like a toy car horn then it went out completely about a yr after i bought mine at that time it had about 60,000 miles on it

Quick Reply: keys stuck in the ignition