New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Airbag light on help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 01:22 AM
Default Airbag light on help!

So i have a 2003 Monte Carlo SS can't seem to figure out why the airbag light stays on no damage to bags when i turn key it blinks 6 times and stays on ive read some forums and says something about wirea under seat they look fine but i was thinking maybe module or sensor in front of radiator i plugged ODM scanner and nothing..please help!!

Old 05-21-2019, 07:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by cortesjr
So i have a 2003 Monte Carlo SS can't seem to figure out why the airbag light stays on no damage to bags when i turn key it blinks 6 times and stays on ive read some forums and says something about wirea under seat they look fine but i was thinking maybe module or sensor in front of radiator i plugged ODM scanner and nothing..please help!!
I have this problem with an 2006 Pontiac Torrent, a friend of mine says you need to unplug the Airbag wires under the seat and you can clean them and plug it back in and it should work.
Not sure if that will do the trick. Check youtube and see if there is a fix there.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You need to have the SIR system scanned and find out the code. Not all scan tools will read this system, you may need the GM Tech II to access it. The code can then give you direction to what has failed. Could be the clockspring in the steering column, an airbag sensor, a circuit to the bag itself, any list of options. But your starting point is finding out what the code is that is activating the air bag light.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
You need to have the SIR system scanned and find out the code. Not all scan tools will read this system, you may need the GM Tech II to access it. The code can then give you direction to what has failed. Could be the clockspring in the steering column, an airbag sensor, a circuit to the bag itself, any list of options. But your starting point is finding out what the code is that is activating the air bag light.
i had a guy come scan it for me and nothing couldn't even detect the airbag module so we're thinking it the airbag module so we're hoping i can find one at the junk yard and i can just plug it in and the airbag light will go away

Old 05-24-2019, 07:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Usually when a device is "disconnected", there is actually a code the BCM can give for it. A tool from Snap-On or Matco *might* read the air bag data, but hard to guarantee. Did your guy use a GM Tech II (or other true GM Scan Tool)? If not, I would not continue with your plan to replace the air bag computer module, as you are really banking on that a non-GM scan tool is reading the air bag system. It might really be worth having a dealership scan the car with a true GM tool. Or, you can buy a Tech II knock off that will work fairly cheap these days.

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-24-2019, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Usually when a device is "disconnected", there is actually a code the BCM can give for it. A tool from Snap-On or Matco *might* read the air bag data, but hard to guarantee. Did your guy use a GM Tech II (or other true GM Scan Tool)? If not, I would not continue with your plan to replace the air bag computer module, as you are really banking on that a non-GM scan tool is reading the air bag system. It might really be worth having a dealership scan the car with a true GM tool. Or, you can buy a Tech II knock off that will work fairly cheap these days.

https://www.amazon.com/Diagnosis-Tec...gateway&sr=8-3
yeah he had a spendy ipad looking thing it read everything even live data also when we hooked up to detect the airbag module it didnt detect it and i know my carpet got wet after water going thru the fan assembly i fixed that with the water deflector he also said if i can get one from the junk make sure it has same part numbers and he can reset it

Last edited by cortesjr; 05-24-2019 at 09:07 AM.