NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Pocono 8/1/10 @ 1 PM Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 03:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

With 36 to go, Kurt Busch scores the best wreck of the race award (so far - it'll be hard to beat!). Elliots Sadler is collected big time and tv camera struggle to find how, but the engine is thrown from his vehicle and Elliot appears hurt!....

Red flag

Edit: Replays catch that it was Kurt and Elliot Sadler's engine's that went flying - 2 of them! Elliot hit an inside retainer trying to avoid Kurt, and he hit really really hard and crushed the front of that car in a way I didn't think possible. After 15 about minutes he is released from infield care. He is alright.

In all the excitement I have run out of beer...

Last edited by JuniorCar; 08-01-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:05 PM

Holy crap I wish they had a camera angle that caught what happened to Elliot. That was freaking crazy

Old 08-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
In all the excitement I have run out of beer...

You ran out of beer and quit reporting on the race also, Brent where you at man, we need an update....

Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 AM

Hi Member's, Please post your review/thoughts on the Race.
Thanks.....

Get-well victory

With team owner Jack Roush away as he recuperates from injuries sustained in a plane crash, Greg Biffle gave him and Ford a big lift with their first victory of the season.

Pocono: Unofficial Results | Unofficial Standings | Lap-by-Lap | Shop: Winner's gear!
Long Pond, Pa.
Cloudy 63°
Forecast

Pit strategy defines outcome for several

Final stop completely changed the running order at Pocono.
154 Comments
Press Pass: Stewart

Race Rewind: A win for Jack at Pocono

Wrecks, rain and an emotional victory -- the Sunoco Red Cross 500 had everything.
Press Pass: Edwards

Busch, Sadler in hard crashes at Pocono

After getting turned by Johnson, Busch goes for wild ride; Sadler OK after violent smash.
Sadler 'little sore'

Victory Lane: Biffle snaps winless skid

Talks about his team's adjustments that produced his first win since 2008.
Post-race reactions

Final Laps: Tire strategy pays off

Biffle pulls away after making two-tire stop leading into the final restart at Pocono.
Press Pass: Biffle

'Fan Finish' the place for all the answers

Kenny Wallace and Kyle Petty tackle your questions following the race at Pocono.
SPEED Victory Lane

Source: Kentucky to get Cup race in 2011

Track would host race in early July; official word could come Aug. 10.
120 Comments
Track Page: Kentucky

Nationwide Race Review: Iowa

Relive all the highlights as Bayne and Harvick try to give Busch a run for his money.
Busch wins ninth

www.nascar.com
Above source link

Old 08-02-2010, 07:25 AM

Updated: Monday 6:53 am
Weekend Top Five: Pocono/Iowa

1:55

Race Rewind: Pocono

16:46

Old 08-02-2010, 07:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831

You ran out of beer and quit reporting on the race also, Brent where you at man, we need an update....
Ah, we all know how it ended. I left that up to 'Space. I had to go out and get beer.

Junior sucked. I actually thought Hornish had that one for a few minutes!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 AM

Hi `Brent,
The guys at work said that they thought it was a wild race...
I followed it on the NASCAR LeaderBoard....
The weather seems to have had a major impact on the race, plus a lot of luck to the top ten that finished the race...

I watched the vid's this morning, and WoW Elliot Sadler is lucky 2 still `be here 2day ...I bet he is sore 4-Sure 2day.
That was a SuperHard `Hit....

Old 08-02-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
Ah, we all know how it ended. I left that up to 'Space. I had to go out and get beer.

Junior sucked. I actually thought Hornish had that one for a few minutes!
Junior would have been fine had he gotten the caution he needed without being the cause of it

Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 AM

Elliott Sadler Crash Exposes Pocono Safety Weaknesses

8/01/2010 8:11 PM ET By Bob Zeller

When a NASCAR Sprint Cup driver slides sideways off a straightaway like Elliott Sadler did Sunday at Pocono Raceway, how is it possible that he can hit anything directly head-on, as Sadler did?

It's possible because Pocono has a earthen berm at that section of the track that juts out from the regular inside wall, sticking into the runoff area. The berm is fronted by an old steel guardrail, and it was into that guardrail that Sadler's No. 19 Ford hit dead head-on in the most violent crash of the year and the most needlessly violent crash in quite some time.

It was the second horrific crash of the summer at Pocono, and several drivers, including Sunday's winner, Greg Biffle, and points leader Kevin Harvick, harshly criticized the lack of modern safety standards at the Pennsylvania track after the first crash, which saw Kasey Kahne's car nearly sail over the outside wall in the June race.

As detailed by FanHouse last week, Pocono has promised changes, explaining that they couldn't be made after the June race because there simply wasn't enough time before Sunday's event.

The criticism focused on the lack of enough SAFER barriers at Pocono, the lack of enough catch fencing, the use of old steel guardrails, the presence of earthen berms and the existence of grass runoff areas.

The latter three were factors in Sadler's crash, but the thing that made it so bad was the fact that the berm Sadler hit juts out into the runoff area.

The crash was triggered when Jimmie Johnson turned Kurt Busch's car between turns one and two while trying to draft Busch. Johnson took the blame and apologized on his radio, but Busch was hot about it.

"I got wrecked on the straightaway," Busch said. "Jimmie Johnson drove straight through us."

Busch's car went into the outside wall, then slid across the track, hit the wet, grassy runoff area, sailed into the inside guardrail and finally came to a stop back near the track surface.

Sadler, who was having a good weekend at Pocono, having won the NASCAR truck race on Saturday, was hit from behind as he slowed down because of Busch's crash.

His car sailed off the track toward the inside wall, skated on the wet grass and slammed head-on into the earthen berm outcropping.

The violent impact ripped the engine and one wheel from his car, and left Sadler wincing in pain and gasping for breath as he crawled out of his car. But he was not significantly injured.

"I'm OK. I'm a little sore," Sadler told reporters after coming out of the infield care center. "The breath definitely got knocked out of me. It was probably the hardest hit I've ever had in a race car, but I've got to thank all my guys back at home that put these things together. It knocked the engine out of it. I know it knocked the swaybar tube and the whole swaybar out of it and the whole left-front wheel assembly, but I'm still in one piece so it did its job. The way it hit the guardrail back there was pretty tough."

When Busch began to crash, "I saw some smoke," Sadler said. "Everybody started checking up. I checked up. Whoever was running behind us did not and ran in the back of us and knocked us down through the grass."

Old 08-02-2010, 06:38 PM

The 1st 130 or so were pretty boring, junior spinning so nothing new:p. Racing got good at the end though. And yea what a crazy wreck, they dont show much of it on nascar however if you look it up in youtube you can get the best angle they have. Woohoo at least Tony got 2nd.