NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/Shootout/Sat. Night

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012 | 08:59 AM
|

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
3 Year Member1 Year Member
5 Year Member
Default Picks/Shootout/Sat. Night

We're off and rolling again!!!!!!!!!

Points, Intro, Congratulatory Remarks

Not much to say since this is the beginning of the season. But I'm going to add in a section for this year.

DEFENDING WINNER: Lougreen03

Lets see if he can do it again this year!

Congrats to our Segment Winners from last year, as they now begin to make a run to defend their titles.

Segment 1: Cowboy6622
Segment 2: montecarlo3831
Segment 3: zJerry
Segment 4: Teacher

And the overall champion prepares to make a defending run as well, Cowboy6622!!!

NEW RULES CHANGE FOR PICKS THIS YEAR

Okay, I want to make sure everyone is aware of this.... I didn't get a lot of feedback in my thread addressing the issue

(see here)

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/na...try-yet-34078/

^LINK^ And ignore the part about it not being official yet... I'm changing that so of now. That statement was there in case there was a lot of outrage over it.

Six people are for it, and I wasn't one of hte ones who voted, so it's really 7.

Anyhow, if you're having a hard time figuring out a third person but really believe in one of your first two picks, pick them twice!!!

For instance, if you pick for this week:

1) Kevin Harvick
2) Jeff Gordon
3) Greg Biffle

But you don't really believe that much in Greg Biffle... you're just trying to fill the space... well, pick one of those first two guys twice!!!

1) Kevin Harvick
2) Jeff Gordon
3) Jeff Gordon

Or pick the same guy three times!!!

1) Greg Biffle
2) Greg Biffle
3) Greg Biffle

This rule is in effect for this race, and potentially the season if it works out.

Intro to this Week

I love this race myself. I have always wanted to go down to Daytona to see it!! It's mean to say, but my grandmother died the week leading up to this race last year and I was right there 2 days before the race...... but oh well.

So they draw for positions on Friday night, they race Saturday night. 25 lap heat, 10 minute break, 50 laps to the finish. It's exciting in one sense that there are no points, but much like the all star race, a lot of guys are testing their Daytona car and don't want to risk f'ing it all up.

So my advice on making picks: If we find out certain drivers are running their Daytona 500 cars this week ,you may want to be careful picking them as they may not necessarily be running for the win. A lot of guys use the 500 back up car though.

Plus, we're going to see if the 2 car tandem is really gone. NASCAR has made a lot of rule changes, including downsizing radiators, adding material to the rear bumpers to add drag, moving the grill opening, and elminating car to car communication during races to stop it.

So lets dig into this one, shall we...

ELIGIBLE DRIVERS FOR THIS WEEK

It's more like who is not eligible. Anyone who was in the top 25 in points last year, plus anyone who has ever won a race at Daytona is eligble. David Gilliland, I think Reutimann, and like Landon Cassill aren't eligible. Srsly? This race used to be kind of exclusive....

Hendrick Motorsports

Even on an "Off Year" they have 3 guys in the chase, and a satelite team wins the championship. And last year, the Hendrick guys were bad-***-fast on these tracks. I think they were happy with how Daytona testing went. However, Jimmie Johnsons crew chief would not allow him to run in two car tandems or in a pack. They may be someone to watch out for on Pole day. And I don't see them bringing that car to the Shootout.

It will also be exciting to see how Kasey Kahne begins to fit into this Hendrick Motorsports model.

Richard Childress Racing

These guys are pumped for 2012. And I believe this team will be stronger now without Bowyer and going to a three car model. Although if they were to cut someone, it really should have been Menard. They all have new crew chiefs, a three car model that all run out of the same shop... I think they're going to be tough to beat.

Stewart Haas Racing

History isn't in Stewarts favor this year. He's good in the shootout, but when it comes to points, he was usually crap the years after he won his other two championships.

Newman is Newman.... I feel like Stewart could have gotten someone better. But on the same hand, they're both the fattest most out of shape people in the garage area to root for....

Roush Fenway Racing

I feel like this team is going to be much stronger this year as well without the 6 car and David Ragan pulling them back. They're going to run Stenhouse for a few races early in the year since they have the points. However, I believe Biffle, who had terrible luck last year, will be back stronger this year. Matt Kenseth was hitting a stride last year that I hope will last.

But I do worry about ol' Carl Edwards. The last time he was 2nd in points and switched sponsors the next season, he sucked. I hope he doesn't have similar fate this year. Fate doesn't matter too much at Daytona though.

Petty Motorsports

If I'm to be honest, I'm not looking for a lot out of these guys. Allmendinger was their flagship, now they have Almirola. I feel like part of Ambrose success was sort of leaning on Allmendinger for set ups for awhile. Now we're going to see if Ambrose can stand on his own. He has the chance now, as the lead driver of a team, a win under his belt, and a new season starting.

Penske Racing

I think Allmendinger is in a make or break year. He's shown he can contend for Top 5's and Top 10's at a few tracks. But that was with Jack Roush's left over parts. It will be interesting now to see what he can do with the best Dodge has to offer him.

And with Allmendinger getting that 24 Hours of Daytona win, I would love to see him win something in Speedweeks, especially the Daytona 500, to really have a streak of Daytona dominance this year.

But with Busch out and Keselowski still in, I think the Miller Deuce is the lead car over there now. Brad K. was hitting some strides late last year, but I'm not convinced he will carry a lot of that over.

I think the best thing this team has going for it though, is Kurt B. and his bad attitude taken away. Attitudes of one member, espeically a leader like that of the team, can go a long way in carrying a team down in the shop and at the track. I think Penske will be stronger this year.

Joe Gibbs Racing

That team has made a lot of changes. Zippadelli is out. The 20 car before was structured around Tony Stewart, and they tried to insert Joey Logano into that model, and it didn't work for him. Now the team is being rebuilt around Logano, and I think he is in yet another make or break year, which is what he was in last year.

Kyle Busch was the only guy on this team worth a d@mn last year, and his team is still the same. As long as he can behavnig in the minor leagues and not get suspended, eh could be a title contender again and will almost certainly make the chase.

Dennis Hamster is getting a new crew chief in Darian Grubb. But Hamster doesn't really have the mentality to run for a championship. He beat himself in 2010, and he needs to get over it. I think that's what kept him down last year. If Grubb can get Hamsters head in the game, then we're going to be in good shape this year.

But all this talk on who is going to be stronger this year means someone has to be weaker, right?

Well, I'm not convinced that Stewart Haas is going to have a strong run again this year. The thing is though, we're always positive going into the year. And we don't really knwo what you have when we go to Daytona anyway. We ened to get through Bristol to see who is strong and who isn't this year.

Phoenix Racing

Woahs.... they got Kurt Busch!! And he is in the car that pushed him to the Gatorade Duel 1 win last year. He may be someone to look out for in Daytona, but we'll have to see what happens in the season.

My Picks

Not making any yet... you guys know how last year I was always pulling something out of my @rse for these thigns? Well, I'm trying to come up with a unique new scam to pull some random numbers out for this thign. So we're just going to have to see what happens!

If you have some suggestsions, let me know.

EDIT: Still taking suggestions on how to pick for up coming restricter plate races. But, I've already made pics for this race....

Picks for all Daytona Races, 2012-1/1 - YouTube

^LINK^

So when they draw numbers Friday night, we'll know who I'm going to go down in the hole with.

EDIT: Which means I get...

1) David Ragan
2) Michael Waltrip
3) Juan Pablo Montoya

Two of those guys are underdogs.... David Ragan and Michael Waltrip are established restricter plate racers....

So here we go guys... First race of 2012 is coming!! Lets get some picks rolling in!!!

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 02-17-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2012 | 09:30 AM
|

5 Year Member

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/na...cedures-25693/

^LINK^

I have edited in the rules change for 2012. I think we're going to roll with it, but I reserve the rights to change it.

Also, we have a stats thread up for 2012....

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/na...tistics-33871/

^LINK^

And please, read above for the rules change concenring picks this year. The rule change is expressed in the rules thread and in the above rundown post. I don't want anyone claiming they got beat by someone who cheated. I want everyone to know there are new ways to pick for this season. I put the title category in bigger letters so hopefully we'll see it.

But basically, you cna pick the same driver multitple times if you would like, just make sure you stay within a 3 pick limit.

Old 02-12-2012 | 09:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

I guess I'll pick first:

1. Dale Jr.
2. Dale Jr.
3. Dale Jr.

Old 02-12-2012 | 09:52 AM
|

5 Year Member

You know you don't have to pick like that, right?

And in the wake of that, keep in mind if you want to voice your opinion against the new rule, there is a thread in the NASCAR Racing section entitled "New Poitns Idea" that is linked to in the rundown post that you can voice your discontent in. Or you can voice it here.

We still have time to revert back to the old system before it really counts in the Daytona 500. I thought it would be good to use the shootout and the Twin 125's to see how teh new rule works.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 02-12-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-12-2012 | 10:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

I will try this
1. Kevin Harvick
2. Kevin Harvick
3. Dale Jr.
Wow, it seems like it has been a while. I am excited. Thanks Duane!

Old 02-12-2012 | 10:31 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Jeff Gordon
Jimmie Johnson
Dale Jr

Old 02-12-2012 | 10:39 AM

`Space picks 4 the Bud
1. Tony Stewart
2. Carl Edwards
3. Jeff Gordon.
(I'm so conFuZed, but I always am)~>
Thanks again `Duane 4 your time/dedication to your MCF NASCAR Thread...Wish you & members a super good racing year filled with fun & excitement 4-Sure

Old 02-12-2012 | 10:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
10 Year Member

Here's my pick's

1) Dale Earnhardt Jr
2) Tony Stewart
3) Jeff Gordon

Old 02-12-2012 | 11:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Harvick
Johnson
Dale Jr.

I picked all rcr cars last year and won but i'll go this route this year. Good luck all.

Old 02-12-2012 | 12:57 PM

1.Dale Earnhardt Jr
2.Dale Earnhardt Jr
3.Jimmie Johnson

Quick Reply: Picks/Shootout/Sat. Night