NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/Daytona/SatNight

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:38 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Leather is hard to melt. A lot of drivers had problems with the traditional racing shoes of the day not necessarily melting, but allowing their heels to get burned on those floor boards. Leather lets your skin breath better and Dave Marcis always claimed that leather shoes worked better. Someone told him at a race to wear leatehr, he said "well all I have is my wing tip dress shoes" and someone said "wear them." So he did... for many years.... and he never burned a heel in them....

I'd imagine those boots were cooler than a lot of other shoes. I've seen other shots of Petty in the '68-69 era outside of his car with black cowboy boots on..

Old 07-01-2012, 05:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

From my own personal experience..My feet sweated and stunk from wearing boots all the time.(wore cowboy boots til becomeing an amputee)

Now i can also vouch for the wingtips as well.when i was a kid my dad forced me to wear wingtips..(Especially when beatle boots were all the rage) But oh no I could never have a pair of those lol.. Needless to say. I tried everything in my power as a kid to destroy those shoes..I mean running thru the mud, dragging them while rideing my bike. skateborading etc... with little or no success...(one day i magically lost them) in the lake hehehehehe

So I can understand when you said he had no ill affects from wearing "wingtip" shoes lol

Old 07-01-2012, 05:29 PM

5 Year Member

You can't kill leather. I have been wearing the same two pairs of boots for over 4 years each. When I do finally retire them, I turn them into work boots and have already worn one set for about 4 years as regular shoes and about 3 years as work boots. I just had about the 3rd or 4th set of rubber heels put on the current sets I have now (I wear them out pretty evenly). I had to get a half sole put on my black ones, plus a toe piece one time.... and they just polish out a couple of itmes a year and I wear them to everything from school to car shows to job interviews to funerals....

Old 07-01-2012, 05:57 PM

5 Year Member

I too resouled and heeled a few pairs...
The comfort level in a good pair of boots makes it hard to part with them for sure duane...

Old 07-01-2012, 06:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with what you said about Jimmie Duane, but for Jr to win, he needs to be there. Jr's problem is that he runs out of friends at the end of these things. I'm going to go...

1. Dale Jr
2. Carl Edwards
3. Jimmie Johnson

Old 07-01-2012, 07:43 PM

5 Year Member

WEll it is liek I have siad about Daytona in the past... previous luck doens't matter, previous stats don't matter.... all you need is to get it all together one time and win it.... that's all.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:06 PM

I remember at the Talladega race a year or two back where they had 3 green-white-checker tries, I remember DW (I think it was him saying it) making a comment about how Ryan Newman was just snakebit at those restrictor plate tracks. Junior is the only Hendrick driver who I feel doesn't have similar luck at these tracks currently. Kasey Kahne either runs really well or ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time. I think I've picked Biffle on all but one race this season, and there's only been one race where he really hurt me (last week at Kentucky) so I'll stick with him, especially with the Roush team doing well on restrictor plate races this year. I think there will be a lot of people picking Kenseth as well, so picking two Roush drivers doesn't help me, especially since Carl just plain has bad luck this year (and he was the cause of my worst race of the season at Bristol that cost me any chance at staying within striking distance on the overall and segment one standings). I'm torn on whether to pick Harvick as my third pick or go with McMurray (who usually does well at Daytona even if he sucks at every other track on the circuit). I may change my picks before I leave for Benning on Friday, but as of right now here are my picks

Dale Jr
Biffle
Harvick

I still may change the 3rd one in favor of McMurray, but I'll check my gut feeling towards the end of the week.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:22 PM

5 Year Member

Only about 3 out of 10 people have taken Kenseth so far....

Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I expect Kenseth to go into a downward spiral since announcing leaving the team. Roush won't invest the best in him anymore...

Old 07-02-2012, 09:03 AM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
I agree with what you said about Jimmie Duane, but for Jr to win, he needs to be there. Jr's problem is that he runs out of friends at the end of these things. I'm going to go...
I didnt noticed but I dont think Dale jr had any friends at Michigan!...
and won it by 5.7 secs ahead of the field!

arent they repaveing the front stretch at daytona as well? or the whole track?

Quick Reply: Picks/Daytona/SatNight