NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

NASCAR + More Racing - ReCap: 4/24/10

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow NASCAR + More Racing - ReCap: 4/24/10

THE BIG STORY
Kurt Busch won Saturday night's Sprint All-Star race at Charlotte Motor Speedway in a Roger Penske-owned Dodge, just hours after Helio Castroneves put Penske's car on the pole for the Indianapolis 500. Busch finished .358 second clear of Martin Truex Jr. in the 10-lap final run. Joey Logano was third. On Sunday, Bill France Sr. and Jr., Richard Petty, Dale Earnhardt and Junior Johnson were officially inducted as the first class in the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
Also: Brian Vickers will not race the rest of this season due to blood clots in both lungs and his left leg. He is taking blood-thinning medication, which essentially rules out racing . . . Kevin Harvick and Richard Childress agreed on a multi-year contract extension . . . Denny Hamlin's No. 11 Toyota team won Wednesday night's NASCAR Pit Crew Challenge in 23.132 seconds to edge Jeff Burton's No. 31 Chevy team . . . A federal judge in North Carolina dismissed Jeremy Mayfield's lawsuit against NASCAR . . .The Sprint Cup awards ceremony will return to Las Vegas December 3. The Nationwide and Camping World Truck ceremonies will be in Miami November 22 . . . Clint Bowyer was put on NASCAR probation until June 16 for intentional contact with Denny Hamlin in the Dover Nationwide race . . . Jason Meyers won the World of Outlaws feature Saturday night at I-96 Speedway in Michigan. It was his sixth win of the season.

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
Friday qualifying was rained out, so the starting fields were set by qualifying draw. Martin Truex Jr. won the opening 40-lap Sprint Showdown to advance to the All-Star race, along with runner-up Greg Biffle and fan selection Carl Edwards. The All-Star race was divided into segments of 50, 20, 20 and 10 laps. On lap one, Jeff Gordon bounced off the wall. Kurt Busch won that segment. Jimmie Johnson was in front after both 20-lap runs. After a 10-minute break, all teams were required to make a four-tire pit stop. Denny Hamlin and Kyle Busch were the first out of the pits. On that first lap, there was a wreck involving Gordon, Edwards, Tony Stewart, Mark Martin, Dale Earnhardt Jr., David Reutimann and Jamie McMurray. That led to a full restart. After three laps, Kyle Busch closed on Hamlin but hit the wall and accused his teammate of cutting him off. Kurt Busch dove to the inside and took the lead. On lap 99, Kyle Busch hit the wall again and bounced into Kasey Kahne. Just as Kurt Busch was to take the white flag, Jimmie Johnson spun on the frontstretch. Kurt Busch won $1,078,309.

NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
After a three-hour rain delay, poleman Kyle Busch won Friday night's North Carolina Education Lottery 200 at Charlotte. Busch's Toyota brushed the wall on lap 40 but he finished .228 second ahead of Todd Bodine. Ron Hornaday Jr. was third. Busch averaged 109.653 mph with seven yellows for 35 of the 134 laps. Bodine is two points ahead of Aric Almirola (seventh).

NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series

Tony Schumacher, Robert Hight and Mike Edwards were the pro class winners in Sunday's O'Reilly Summer Nationals in Topeka, Kansas. In Top Fuel, Schumacher won on a holeshot, 3.875 seconds, 310.27 mph vs. Cory McClenathan's 3.864, 312.35 mph. It was Schumacher's third win of the season. Larry Dixon leads McClenathan by 97 points. In Funny Car, Hight's Ford Mustang won for the third straight time. He clocked 4.104, 303.50 mph to Jeff Arend's 4.150, 300.80 mph in a Toyota Solara. Jack Beckman qualified fourth in the Valvoline/MTS Dodge Charger and lost in the first round. John Force tops Hight by 49 points. In Pro Stock, Edwards' Pontiac GXP ran 6.717, 204.63 mph to best Allen Johnson's Dodge Avenger's 6.710, 205.19 mph on a holeshot. Ron Krisher qualified fourth in the Valvoline Chevrolet Cobalt and red-lighted in the semifinals. Edwards' margin over Johnson is 267 points.

Izod IndyCar Series
Helio Castroneves, in pursuit of his record-tying fourth Indianapolis 500 victory, took his fourth Indy pole Saturday with a four-lap average speed of 227.578 mph. In the new qualifying format, in which the top nine advanced to a 90-minute shootout, Castroneves was first out, set his time, and was never headed. Will Power and Dario Franchitti complete the front row. Ryan Briscoe, Alex Tagliani and Scott Dixon are in row two. Graham Rahal, Ed Carpenter and Hideki Mutoh complete row three. Tony Kanaan crashed both Saturday and Sunday and qualified 32d with a run in the closing minutes. Paul Tracy's team withdrew his time and he wasn't fastest enough to get back in the 33-car field. The same happened with Jay Howard. Rookie Sebastian Saavedra crashed during a practice session with about one hour to go, but with the Tracy and Howard situations, stayed in as the last qualifier.

American Le Mans Series
DaDavid Brabham, Simon Pagenaud and Marino Franchitti won Saturday's six-hour race at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in an Acura. Franchitti took the checkered flag after Guy Smith's Mazda-Lola stopped with 24 minutes to go with an oil-filter problem. Klaus Graf, Memo Gidley and Sascha Maassen were second in a Porsche RS Spyder, seven laps behind after 237 laps. In GT, Patrick Long and Jorg Bergmeister won in a Porsche when Long passed Joey Hand's BMW with eight minutes left. In LMP Challenge, Christophe Bouchut, Mark Wilkins and Scott Tucker won. In GT Challenge, Jeroen and Sebastiaan Bleekemolen and Tim Pappas won.

Racers of the Week
Bill France Sr. and Junior, Richard Petty, Dale Earnhardt and Junior Johnson - inducted as the first class in the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
Yes, He REALLY Said That
Jeff Gordon, on if he would want to sky-dive. "I think all race car drivers have a little bit of thrill-seeking in them. I think it's just in your nature. I've always wanted to jump out of an airplane, I've always thought it would be awesome. But I never thought it was something I would do while I was racing. Not so much I'm afraid of dying, I'm afraid of getting injured, and not being able to get in the race car."

Valvoline Winners Last Weekend
Tony Schumacher, NHRA Top Fuel class, Topeka.

This Weekend
It's racing's biggest weekend of the year, with the Indianapolis 500 and Coca-Cola 600 Sunday. Nationwide series runs at Charlotte Saturday night. Formula One travels to Turkey. Rolex sports car go in Lime Rock Monday.

^^^They love 2 `ride in a Chevy Monte Carlo 4-Sure : ) Beep ~ Beep : )
I got 2 Blast `off =========================

Last edited by Space; 05-24-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Public Broadcast Sunday, May 30, 2010
(Don't have 2 have cable or Dish : )
the kid is `Happy : )

Indy 500 on ABC: preRace @ noon EST

NASCAR Sprint Cup on Fox starting @ 5PM EST

There will be a Thread made Friday to post
your picks for both races...