Other Professional Racing.. Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

NASCAR + More Racing 10-20-08

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default NASCAR + More Racing 10-20-08

Track Talk for the weekend of October 17 - 19
THE BIG STORY
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series
American Le Mans Series
Formula One
Valvoline Winners Last Weekend
Racer of the Week
Yes, He REALLY Said That
This Weekend

THE BIG STORY

Jimmie Johnson's sixth victory of the season, in Sunday's Tums QuikPak 500 at Martinsville Speedway, jumped him to a 149-point lead with only four races to go. Johnson's No. 48 Chevrolet dominated and beat Dale Earnhardt Jr. by .708 second after 504 laps. A late yellow caused a green-white-checker finish. Carl Edwards was third, followed by Jeff Gordon and Denny Hamlin. Casey Mears was sixth to put all four Hendrick Motorsports' Chevrolets in the top six. The Chase standings, with Martinsville finish in parenthesis: Johnson; Greg Biffle (12th), - 149 points; Jeff Burton (17th), - 152; Edwards (third), - 198; Clint Bowyer (10th), - 246; Kevin Harvick (seventh), - 256; Gordon (fourth), - 275; Tony Stewart (26th), - 338; Earnhardt Jr. (second), - 379; Matt Kenseth (eighth), - 408; Hamlin (fifth), - 420; Kyle Busch (29th), - 445.
Also: Crew chiefs Tim and Kim Richards, now tuning Brandon Bernstein's Top Fuel car, will retire at the end of the season. Rob Flynn will take over on Bernstein's car next season… Paul Wolfe, No. 00 Toyota Nationwide crew chief, was fined $5,000 and put on probation for a non-conforming carburetor at Charlotte. Josh Wise drove the car. Return to Top

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

Michael Waltrip Racing will use No. 47 for the season's last four races with Marcos Ambrose driving at Atlanta. Waltrip will return the No. 44 to Petty Enterprises for 2009. Waltrip's No. 00 team will take the owner points of the No. 44. Friday qualifying at Martinsville was rained out, so Jimmie Johnson started on the pole. Sunday, the first yellow came on lap 28, when Travis Kvapil spun. Dale Earnhardt Jr. was too fast in the pits and was put to the end of the restart line. Jeff Gordon passed Johnson for the lead on the restart. Kasey Kahne caused a yellow when his Dodge lost power. Earnhardt bumped Jamie McMurray into a spin. Matt Kenseth got loose in turn three and had contact with Joe Nemechek. On lap 163, Kyle Busch, Sam Hornish Jr. and Tony Raines all had right-front tire problems, apparently from brake heat, and there was a yellow. Busch was penalized two laps for stopping on the track to cause a yellow. A.J. Allmendinger spun Bobby Labonte. On lap 363, Tony Stewart fell to the right-front tire heat build-up issue and pitted. Kurt Busch soon followed. With 43 laps to go, Reed Sorenson got into the wall, and Kenseth was the only lead-lap driver not to pit. Jeff Burton's crew started to work on his Chevy while it was outside the pit box and he got a one-lap penalty. Johnson easily passed Kenseth after the restart and got a good jump on Earnhardt on the green-white-checker. He averaged 75.931 mph with 12 cautions for 76 laps.Return to Top

NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series

Johnny Benson won Saturday's Kroger 200 at Martinsville and reclaimed the series lead when Ron Hornaday Jr. ran out of fuel with three laps to go while running second. Hornaday's Chevrolet led the opening 155 laps from the pole until Benson's Toyota got under him in turn three. Benson finished .785 second ahead of Dennis Setzer's Dodge. Rick Crawford was third in a Ford. Hornaday fell to 29th and trails Benson by 65 points with four races left. Benson averaged 68.213 mph with nine yellows for 44 laps.Return to Top

American Le Mans Series

Marco Werner and Lucas Luhr ended their championship campaign and the season with an overall win in Saturday's Monterey Sports Car Championship at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Their Audi diesel, with Werner driving, passed teammate Emanuele Pirro on a restart with 26 minutes to go in the four-hour contest and won by 1.9 seconds. Pirro teamed with Christijan Albers. In P2, Tony Kanaan and Franck Montagny won in an Acura. Porsche won the class manufacturer title by one point. In GT1, Olivier Beretta and Oliver Gavin won in a Chevrolet Corvette. In GT2, Dirk Mueller and Dominik Farnbacher won in a Ferrari F430 GT.Return to Top

Formula One

Lewis Hamilton led all the way from the pole to take Sunday's Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai. His McLaren-Mercedes finished 14.9 seconds clear of Felipe Massa's Ferrari, with Kimi Raikkonen third after 56 laps. With one race to go, Hamilton leads Massa by seven points. France's motorsports federation announced cancellation of the 2009 French Grand Prix due to financial problems. Return to Top

Valvoline Winner Last Weekend

Johnny Benson, NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series, Martinsville.Return to Top

Racer of the Week

Jimmie Johnson. Led 339 laps at Martinsville and took a big lead in the Chase standings.Return to Top

Yes, He REALLY Said That

Scott Speed, on his switch from Formula One to stock cars. "I'll never be as good at stock car racing as I was at open wheel. I still consider myself one of the best open-wheel drivers in the world. I doubt I'll ever beat Jimmie Johnson… but I think I'm going to try and push him."Return to Top

This Weekend

NASCAR is hot in Atlanta, with Saturday Trucks and Sunday Cup. The Nationwide cars are in Memphis Saturday. IndyCars put on a non-points show in Surfers Paradise, Australia. WIsh I was there