Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

What could be wrong with my Monte Carlo's lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Exclamation What could be wrong with my Monte Carlo's lights?

I have a 1996 Chevy Monte Carlo ls, I'm having a lot of issues... I am assuming they are all related. Issue #1- the dash/ gauge lights don't come on with the headlights. Issue #2 - taillights do not come on with the headlights either, the brake lights come on when the brake is applied. Issue #3- when I have the headlights on and car off the chime doesn't sound, however the chime works for the door key and seat belt. Issue #4 - the parking lights do not work, but the turn signals and hazards work. And finally Issue # 5- the license plate lights don't work.
Now I checked all 3 fuse blocks all fuses are good I even replaced the 25 amp fuse for the parking lights still nothing. I did some probing to the left rear taillight (with a volt meter) with the hazards on and headlights on and I'm not entirely sure what I did but for about 2 seconds the warning chime came on and went away. I also replaced the headlight switch with no luck.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Timmy Nowlin
I have a 1996 Chevy Monte Carlo ls, I'm having a lot of issues... I am assuming they are all related. Issue #1- the dash/ gauge lights don't come on with the headlights. Issue #2 - taillights do not come on with the headlights either, the brake lights come on when the brake is applied. Issue #3- when I have the headlights on and car off the chime doesn't sound, however the chime works for the door key and seat belt. Issue #4 - the parking lights do not work, but the turn signals and hazards work. And finally Issue # 5- the license plate lights don't work.
Now I checked all 3 fuse blocks all fuses are good I even replaced the 25 amp fuse for the parking lights still nothing. I did some probing to the left rear taillight (with a volt meter) with the hazards on and headlights on and I'm not entirely sure what I did but for about 2 seconds the warning chime came on and went away. I also replaced the headlight switch with no luck.
You have a Bad Multifunction switch...
Need to replace it with a new one.

Heres a youtube video to see whats involved in replacing it.