Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): V8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 01:35 PM
Question V8 swap

I have a 2004 supercharged ss and I would like to put a supercharged 383 in it. I am big on wanting to keep this car supercharged so going with anything else is a no. I know that making it rwd will be a real headache so I want to try to put the transmission from a gen 7 ss beings it is a fwd v8. Big question though, will this work? I am ok with fab work and know that I will have to do a bit, but having an idea of what all I will need to do from the start will no doubt be a huge help. Has anyone here done a v8 swap in a gen 6 and if so, can you please give me some pointers and "ways around"?
A quick overview of this car, when i bought it, it was in ok shape. It does need a lot of work done. The interior is in not the greatest shape and a lot needs replaced. I have tried to find the parts I need but cant find them anywhere. Under the hood is about the same. Both axles, balancer, traction control, and abs needs fixed and replaced. This is a full project car and I have real big plans for it. Any help you guys and gals here can give me would be very very helpful and appreciated.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by MooseMan85
I have a 2004 supercharged ss and I would like to put a supercharged 383 in it.
A couple questions:
-Why a 383? That displacement has to be done aftermarket for any LS, and I can't imagine you're planning enough power to need an aftermarket bottom end. So it seems like a lot of added cost for no real benefit.

-What do you plan for traction? A supercharged v8 is going to make a ton of power if done right. You're going to have an awful time trying to hook that on the street FWD.

I want to try to put the transmission from a gen 7 ss beings it is a fwd v8.
2 things here too:
-The 7G SS trans is basically the same thing you have now. The chain is better along with a few other minor differences, but its virtually identical- 4t65HD.

-You do know even stock LS4 cars struggle to keep that trans together, right? You're talking at least double or more the power of a stock LS4 - its going to need an all out build to stay in one piece. Probably would be best to go 4t80 if you were adamant about keeping it FWD.

Big question though, will this work?
Yes, just about anything can be made to work with enough time and effort. I just think you're really complicating it by wanting to do a 383 build over a regular 5.3 LS4 (or even worse if youre implying doing an old school SBC 383).

One other tought- sounds like this car is pretty rough to start. It seems like you could save a ton of time and effort by just buying a decent v8 SS then adding a supercharger to that. They're pretty cheap these days and your money/ labor will be limited to one project vs several.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 09-18-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have to side with Bumpin'. Yes, you can get a FWD LS4 from a 06-07 Monte/Impala into a 2000-2005 Monte (and it has been done, but I have yet to see any "how to guides"). Because of a lot of differences in the cars, there are some challenges:
- The LS4 is drive by wire.
- PCM to interface with it (I know a guy on Facebook, Brandon (he owns a shop and is named "LS4 King"), used a Chevy cargo van PCM because it could handle the v8 and still interface with the rest of the Monte without issue.
- Possible custom harnesses
- As Bumpin said, the 4t65e is pretty much the same give or take and has issues with the stock power of the LS4. The 4T80 swap has been done.

I also see two other concerns in raw cost.... You said how rough this Monte is. Why not just keep it the way it is and enjoy it?" Or hunt for a LS4 06-07 Monte?

Old 09-21-2021, 03:34 PM

Both " Bumpin96Monte and Maniac" give all the valid points of just sticking with a LS-4. But if your heart is set on a old school 383 there's a place called "Archie's V8" that sells a adapter kit to put a pre-LS engines into Fiero's. I haven't looked lately but the complete kit used to run about $1200 . You will also have to relocate the starter and redrilling the block to install it on the 1,3,5,7 side of the engine and relocate the oil filter. You will also need to design mounts and fabricate a exhaust system and re-drill the flex plate to accept a different torque converter bolt pattern. By the time you start adding up the cost a decent 06-07 SS would be cheaper to buy.