Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Upstream O2 sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 PM
1 Year Member

Nope, 50 miles of highway maximum. Not driving it at all until I have to go to class, and after that it should be in my mailbox. I'm just paranoid something's gonna go wrong before I can fix it.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

FYI - I have never warmed up a car to change an O2 sensor yet. There can be a first some day in the future.

I find many times the special O2 socket will not work for removing the old sensor as that sensor is in the exhaust so tight that the socket just opens at the slot. I usually have to take the wire cutters and clip the wire off, then I can use a good deep well socket. I may also need to use a breaker bar or sleeve my ratchet with a pipe and crack it loose.

When re-installing, I ALWAYS use the O2 socket (as to prevent damage to the wiring and it will get the sensor on and snug with no issues).

As mentioned, stick with ACDelco or Delphi.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:04 PM
1 Year Member

I got a Delphi sensor.

I've heard the o2 sockets are expensive. Not really any spare money to spend on one of those, so I will have to make it work with something else.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:48 PM

Sorry to hijack,

From you all experience, why no to Bosch?

I bought one, my impatience to wait for an acdelco brand let me to buy it.
I can't say I am happy with my decision as now I get a CEL on for a few days, goes away, comes back and so on. I am also thinking it may be my o2 extension may be toast or near it, after the header install I forgot to zip tie it and the casing melted a little. I don't know if I damaged the wiring.

I am curious as why you guys passed on Bosch. Word of mouth or personal experience.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

take it from someone who works at autozone and sells bosch oxygen sensors. F-ING GARBAGE! Too many people come back with bad sensors weeks after installation or literally once the warranty expires. I've seen so many come back (and not just because it didn't turn the CEL off)

btw, to make your life easier. They have a free rental on the tool for the job. Lay $30 down & get it back in full after your done. Or buy the socket for $10 (its not too bad)

Last edited by Red Nightmare; 03-29-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
From you all experience, why no to Bosch?
I can't say I am happy with my decision as now I get a CEL on for a few days, goes away, comes back and so on.
You just answered your own question.

The problem is not necessarily that the BOSCH sensor is "bad". The issue is that these cars (like many modern cars) are getting a lot tighter on calibrations and tolerances of sensor reads. Our PCMs are not "calibrated" for the reads from a BOSCH sensor, as a result, even though it may not be a bad sensor, the PCM throws CEL because the readings it gets from the sensor are not matching up.

I've read a LOT of people have had these issues with BOSCH. I will admit, I have used BOSCH with no issues on the down stream sensor and in the upstream on mid-90's 3100s. But when I had to change my O2 upstream sensor on my Monte, I tried a Denso, that was a bad move, found out the preferred is AC Delco or Delphi from my readings. My Monte currently has a Delphi in the upstream bank and NO issues.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:21 AM

Jason, thanks for that. I'll get myself an acdelco brand.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Special sockets aren't terrible to buy. I like to do my own work on all the vehicles, so if a special tool is needed (that I know I'll use more than once) it is worth the purchase.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 AM
1 Year Member

Well if it's only $10 then that's not a problem. What's it called and where do I get one?

Old 03-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Special sockets aren't terrible to buy. I like to do my own work on all the vehicles, so if a special tool is needed (that I know I'll use more than once) it is worth the purchase.
agree with this 100%

Quick Reply: Upstream O2 sensor replacement