Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Turn Signal Issue (Researched but Not Seen in other threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 01:00 PM
Default Turn Signal Issue (Researched but Not Seen in other threads)

I've searched many threads for this exact issue and though I've seen several on the turn signal issue 5th Gen, they don't address my specific issue. About a year ago I replaced the turn signal cam switch OEM: 19005031. The problem was the turn signal only worked if I held the signal arm in just the right position. OMG that was the biggest pain in the @$$ repair ever. Trying to pull off and replace the retainer clips and rings under the steering wheel and airbag, while seated in the car, with dim lights and scratched up glasses - if I'd had a gun...

Anyhow, this time, the turn signal arm is simply stuck in right turn mode. The arm doesn't return when the wheel comes back to the left. I hear a click but it won't come back. So this seems mechanical, not electrical, and I assume it is the same darn switch/cam that I never want to work on again (but will). I haven't attempted to strongly force the signal arm back down though I have tried gently.

Bottom line, is it the darn switch under the airbag and steering wheel or is the any chance of a simpler fix? A screwdriver inserted to release something, perhaps a stink bug colony took up residence in there, WD-40 the king of all fixes... anything other than do the same repair again.

If not, I'll muster the courage to go at it again. Hoping for better though.

New to the forum. I've offered advice on a few items so I hope you won't mind me starting a new thread for help.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know the pain in the neck that must be. I changed one on an Older car once and fooled around with it for days, to much stuff to keep in alignment. There may have been something wrong with the new one when you installed it and it just recently raised up and now its an issue. Also check the GM dealer they can pull up and print a schematic of that area that may show something else to inspect.
I don't know if this is possible in your area. But this last summer I stumbled on to a Salvage yard that had a bunch of Montes in it and some of the things that I wanted to repair in mine, those areas were now open and I could see what was there.
So if nothing on you-tube and there is a Monte repair manual out there doesn't work you could check a Salvage yard and see if there is anything open in that area to see that could help understand the issue better. Good Luck.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:11 PM
Cool Thanks - Empathy for Dentists

I hadn't thought of either idea. For me the alignment of the wheel and parts was less the issue. It was the minute adjustments you had to make to get the clips off and on. One is a ring, the other a ring with flanges and small holes. I used pics, I used the tool made just for it. I've never spent so many hours in one small area of a square inch. I now have empathy for dentists and know why they have such a high suicide rate, .

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
I know the pain in the neck that must be. I changed one on an Older car once and fooled around with it for days, to much stuff to keep in alignment. There may have been something wrong with the new one when you installed it and it just recently raised up and now its an issue. Also check the GM dealer they can pull up and print a schematic of that area that may show something else to inspect.
I don't know if this is possible in your area. But this last summer I stumbled on to a Salvage yard that had a bunch of Montes in it and some of the things that I wanted to repair in mine, those areas were now open and I could see what was there.
So if nothing on you-tube and there is a Monte repair manual out there doesn't work you could check a Salvage yard and see if there is anything open in that area to see that could help understand the issue better. Good Luck.