General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Turn Signal Issue 2000 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Smile Turn Signal Issue 2000 Monte Carlo

Hope all is well! I've a 2000 Monte Carlo, 3.4 engine, 106K miles. Having a intermittent problem with turn signals not working sometimes for some reason or another. I noticed that when I press the emergency turn signals and afterwards, activate the turn signals on the steering column, the turn signals start working again. Have any of you had this problem with your Monte? If so, how did you resolve it? Appreciate any assistance you could provide! Take Care!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The "emergency turn signals" you are mentioning are your flashers. The flasher button AND flasher module are one unit on these cars. Sounds like you need to replace the flasher module is my guess.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Smile

Alright, I will definitely consider that once I figured out how to remove it and test it with a multimeter. I believe i read someone comments about their mechanic said he has seen this problem many times and that the switch has a habit of collecting dust from not being used regularly and that it can be cleaned with a can of compressed air which may do the trick. Their were comments also about cleaning the area around the turn signal handle with compressed air. I believe I will try that first. That switch is $70 at the local Auto Zone. Thanks!

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
The "emergency turn signals" you are mentioning are your flashers. The flasher button AND flasher module are one unit on these cars. Sounds like you need to replace the flasher module is my guess.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:00 PM

I had the exact same problem, except sometimes mine would buzz at me and leave the lights on. I just recently replaced the hazard switch and now it works fine. You can get a switch on eBay for under $30 if you shop around a bit... or you can get one out of a junkyard, there's usually one sitting around inside cuz the dash is already torn apart. I tried cleaning mine out but it was stubborn and still didn't work.

It's simple to remove - just remove the screw behind the driver side fusebox and one under the glove box lid. The rest is clips, just don't pull too hard to break the plastic. Once you get the plug out of the switch, you can remove the dash. Be careful when you take the green switch out tho...it's a pain. If you do end up breaking the black piece that is heat welded onto the dash piece, gorilla glue holds it great.