Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Exhaust Gaskets (have already checked out some other threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Installed New Exhaust Gaskets PLUS XTRAS - Great Results w/ Resonator Delete

Hey Guys,

Replaced my Catalytic Converter a few months ago with a magnaflo direct fit downpipe/cat assembly; I also replace the downstream o2 sensor. Everything went great, except at the time i didnt receive gaskets with my order. being as impatient and Stubborn as I am, i just cleaned the original front and rear gaskets (which are numbered 7 and 8 in diagram below) and stuck them back in with no issues. Once i was complete repair, sounded great, and there was no leaks or issues. Well I kicked myself in the *** because now months later my gaskets are toast.

I rolled the Monte up on the ramps and rolled underneath.
Thankfully I had covered all my hardware in anti-seize during the last repair so removal was quite easy. However while underneath the car i noticed this years winter was not kind to my resonator.

So once the Catalytic converter was out of the way i dropped the rest of the exhaust system and brought it into the shop and cut out my resonator. Took some measurements and headed to the part stores.
After pricing a new resonator and reading many posts on the forum i decided to go with a straight pipe Resonator-Delete. So back home i go, take some more measurements and head to local shop and get a pipe bent to replace the resonator and part of the intermediate pipe, Low and behold there is pre-existing part exactly to the measurements i need.... (give or take an inch or two)

Cut old flange off resonator, welded onto new straight pipe, welded new straight pipe to intermediate bend. After bolting up the cat, i installed my gaskets and bolted the flanges together.

BEST REPAIR I'VE EVER DONE! I Love the new sound, i especially like that its coming from the back of my car instead of underneath it.
I would recommend a resonator delete to anyone with intentions of replacing resonator.

All in all i took me a couple hours, 20 dollars for gaskets, 30 dollars for new pipe, and a little bit of welding. Sounds Awesome!

Anyone looking for Catalytic Converter flange gaskets the following part numbers are 7 and 8 in the diagram below
walker #31605 flange gasket
walker #31578 flange gasket

Last edited by Henderson21; 06-01-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

made a massive edit to the last post, with repairs and results.

photos to come soon.