Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Strut replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Default Strut replacement

Attempting to remove my old struts this weekend, found that the lower two bolts did not wish to easily come out. Before possibly damaging anything I aborted the task to ask a couple questions.

1. Those two lower bolts, is that a tight fit in the first place or are the just frozen ( rusted in )
2. What is the best method for extracting those bolts and should they just simply be replaced?

Thank you for your thoughts in advance,

Todd.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Todd2006Monte
Attempting to remove my old struts this weekend, found that the lower two bolts did not wish to easily come out. Before possibly damaging anything I aborted the task to ask a couple questions.

1. Those two lower bolts, is that a tight fit in the first place or are the just frozen ( rusted in )
2. What is the best method for extracting those bolts and should they just simply be replaced?

Thank you for your thoughts in advance,

Todd.
Todd, I just recently did all 4 struts on my 02 SS. Those are not bolts at bottom of the struts. They are splinded pins. What I did was loosen the nut, till it is even with the end of the pin. Then hit it with a 3Lb sledge hammer. The rears are Hard to get a good wack at cause the pins face forward. If you are on a lift it may be easier, But I was on the street on Jack stands. You don't want to hit the pins without the nut on them cause if you dent It's Edge, the nut may not go back on when re-assembling. The pins are re-usable. Just don't dent them. When you put them back in you only Have to get them through enough so you can thread the nut. Then, like your Hub Assemblies, thightening down the nut, seats the pin. It's a piece of cake in theory. Just the Space to wack the rear pins is a headache. Good Luck and safe driving!

Last edited by JC Colon; 08-05-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:59 AM

Thank you JC, your thoughts are helpful. I guess the worst case scenario, I could get a new set of those splines and force-ably remove the older....not really what I want to do, so, again, thank you for your reply.

Todd.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've done much what JC had done, but I used an air hammer with a punch bit, it normally pushed the bolt out and there was not harm and the splines stayed in tact. In issues where heat is needed, heat the head and the thread ends of the bolt to expand the bolt and it's spline inside the knuckle (do not heat the knuckle). Then let it cool for about 5-10 minutes and try again. The concept is to expand the bolt in the spline and break any "bond" that had formed over the years and then letting it cool should give it the micro-amount of space to be pushed out.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Default Todd

The splines are on the bolt, again just like your Hub assembly or steering column into the gear box. The holes in the new struts are smooth. The splines on the pins make their own grooves in the knuckle. So they go in Very Tight. If you can hit them with enough force, they will pop out. It's just a matter of Space between the pin tip and the forward side of the wheel well on the rears. The front has the Space. A good 3 to 5 pound sledge hammer will do the job.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member

They could be seized, in that case follow The Maniac's advice.But try giving a few GOOD wacks. If you are doing all 4 Struts do the front first, they are easier and you will understand what I meanabout the rears.

Last edited by JC Colon; 08-05-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:28 PM

Thanks alot guys....much appreciated. Will take that advise into effect when I have the chance to do the work.

Todd.