Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Starting issue

Hey everyone. I need some help. I posted some time ago about a drivability issue. I figured that one out. Turned out to be a leak between the upper intake manifold and the throttle body. And the MAF. It was running great after that. But, very shortly after that fix the headlights and or the door chime would come on randomly without the key in the ignition. And the key seemed a little hard to remove. So, I replaced the ignition switch and cylinder. Now it wont start. Or even turn over. I removed the battery and gave it a full charge. Still nothing when I hit the start position. So. My question is, do I need to reprogram something? Could the whole random light thing be a bad body control module? And help is much appreciated. I hope everyone is staying safe during this whole covid thing.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:44 PM

Yes after installing a new key switch you will have to do a reprogramming. Either the 10 or 30 minutes procedure. Instructions should have been included with the new key and tumbler. Good luck

Old 09-29-2020, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member

Hey Jeffs02rwdSS
Thank you for the advise. I did that this morning and it fired right up. It still has a couple issues I hoped the new ignition switch would fix. But, didn't. I will Post a new thread. Thanks again. I would like to chat with you sometime about your 02 being rwd.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:15 PM

Glad you got it going. Send me a message anytime.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Default no start issue

Thank you Jeffs02rwdSS and everyone else that advised on the reprogramming of the new ignition switch. I did it this morning and it fired right up. I am still having issues I had hoped this would fix. The key dragging problem is solved. But, 2 other problems are still here. one is the daytime running lights come on randomly without the key even in the ignition. Even after the new ignition switch and cylinder they do that. I could only get them off by pulling a fuse. Another problem I had that I thought was switch related is the key in ignition chime would randomly sound with no key. I don't know yet if that's solved. Another issue that is still present is an erratic fuel gauge. It starts out as full then drops to empty. Sometimes bouncing back up to full, but always goes back to empty. Then stays there until the key is cycled. And the low fuel light and alarm activate. The tank is currently full. This all started after I replaced the fuel pump assembly with new float, sender etc. Does anyone have an idea on these 2 issues?? I'm wondering if it could be the body control module??? I haven't driven the car in a few months while I was working on other problems. But, when I was driving it the low coolant light would come on sometimes. The coolant was not low. I replaced the low coolant sensor twice. Both times the light came back on within a couple hours. A lot of weird things. I wondered if it could be the PCM or the BCM??? But, just dealt with it knowing the fluids were full. But, I can't deal with the fuel gauge or light issue without fixing it. Any advice is always much appreciated. I apologize for the lengthy explanation. Just wanted to provide as much information as might be needed to understand the problems. Thanks again.