Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Ignition switch or Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Ignition switch or Cylinder

Have an '02 SS.
Have searched and seen many Q's re ignition and cylinder, but none seem to be quite in line with my issue -

Car cranks and starts.
I can put the key in and take it out of the ignition.
Car goes into gear without issue.

HOWEVER, the key will not turn completely to the "off" position. It stops just shy and allows me to remove it (while in the ACC position). Thus, the battery does a trickle drain because the dash (and other interior lights) stay on.

Is this a case of needing to replace just the cylinder, just the ignition switch, or both?

I realize a dealer is more expensive, but any idea as to number of hours for a dealer to repair? (It may come down to a matter of convenience and just want to ensure I'm not going to get ripped off hours-wise.)

Many thanks for time and input!

Old 11-30-2017, 03:04 PM

Id say its the cyl. not a very hard job swap out,,, if your car has high miles...may as well replace the switch as well while its all apart.. as it can cause issues of its own down the road,,,,or alternatively the contacts can be cleaned.

there are youtube videos an both subjects.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by sharpeezss
Id say its the cyl. not a very hard job swap out,,, if your car has high miles...may as well replace the switch as well while its all apart.. as it can cause issues of its own down the road,,,,or alternatively the contacts can be cleaned.

there are youtube videos an both subjects.
good point re replacing both while at it. Dealer is reporting 2.5 hours for the job. While I certainly can see it taking ME that long to do such, seems a bit excessive for a "pro" to take that long.

The car is part of GM's ignition recall. While my car's specific recall doesn't state such, I happened to run across other cars in the ignition recall (Pontiac and couple others) which specifically addresses the key removal when not in the "off" position (as well as, like mine, the spring issue). Seems reasonable to me that GM should pay for the repair under the recall (in addition to doing the key insert). I inquired to GM, but was told by the rep that called me back a couple days later they wouldn't. Was I barking up the wrong tree?

Old 12-01-2017, 05:52 AM

The only key recall issue I'm aware of is un intended key rotation. the dealer just puts a piece in the key to keep you from adding heavy objects to the key . yes 2.5 hours seems long but after you change out the cyl you have to go through a relearn process that takes quite some time. there is a security chip imbedded on the cyl.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by sharpeezss
The only key recall issue I'm aware of is un intended key rotation. the dealer just puts a piece in the key to keep you from adding heavy objects to the key . yes 2.5 hours seems long but after you change out the cyl you have to go through a relearn process that takes quite some time. there is a security chip embedded on the cyl.
I agree with sharpeezss. 2.5 hrs. does seem a bit excessive, but when you think it out you have to consider the "30 minute re-learn", attaching a battery charger to prevent battery drain during that process, and resetting the tumblers in the lock cylinder to fit the old key that takes about another 30 minutes. The first time I did it, it took about 2.5 hrs. to do both including the tumblers.