Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Stalls but starts back up no blinkers or hazard lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 04:30 PM
Default Stalls but starts back up no blinkers or hazard lights

Hi everyone. I'm new here so I posted twice. Was wondering if anyone has the same issue and how to fix the problem. I have a 2000 monte carlo I just bought and something is wrong with it. The check engine light is not on but it does work when you turn the key to the on position. The problem is within the first 5 minutes of driving the car stalls. It'll start right back up after it stalls and it might stall again it may not. But after the stall you can drive it all day. The blinkers and hazard lights also go in and out as they choose. I was wondering could the car be stalling because of electrical issues? Did anyone go through the same problem?

Old 06-02-2020, 06:03 PM

I would look into cleaning the mass airflow sensor (MAF) for the stalling problem. They can cause quite the array of problems on these cars, and cleaning them is quick, easy, and cheap. For the turn signals it's likely your hazard switch. On my old Monte the signals wouldn't work unless I pressed the hazard switch on and off. Also fairly easy to replace, just be careful not to break the switch bezel (the part the hazard switch clicks into).

Old 06-03-2020, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dj_bosse
I would look into cleaning the mass airflow sensor (MAF) for the stalling problem. They can cause quite the array of problems on these cars, and cleaning them is quick, easy, and cheap. For the turn signals it's likely your hazard switch. On my old Monte the signals wouldn't work unless I pressed the hazard switch on and off. Also fairly easy to replace, just be careful not to break the switch bezel (the part the hazard switch clicks into).
seems like a legit fix. I pressed the hazard lights and the blinkers started working again. Also, before I pressed the hazard lights, I opened my car door and the blinkers started to work again. I never checked the MAF and right now I have a mechanic looking at it and since he doesn't do electrical work he's taking it to an electrical mechanic. Said the process is going to be about a week since they have so many cars. I'll be sure to keep you updated with what they're going to say the problem is

Old 06-03-2020, 11:17 AM

oh another thing is the hazard lights also went out when I kept pressing the hazard. Would you advice going to a pick and pull to get the parts?

Old 06-03-2020, 06:43 PM

Personally I'd just buy a new hazard switch. It's such a common problem on these cars you'd be running a decent risk of having a similar issue if you grab one from the junkyard. Would be worth it to me to spend a few extra dollars knowing the part wouldn't fail in 1,000 miles (or is already failing). Your call though.

Old 06-04-2020, 02:57 PM

Personally I'd just buy a new hazard switch. It's such a common problem on these cars you'd be running a decent risk of having a similar issue if you grab one from the junkyard. Would be worth it to me to spend a few extra dollars knowing the part wouldn't fail in 1,000 miles (or is already failing). Your call though.
ok. Thanks. Im just really hoping it isn't a shortage somewhere in the wiring thats causing things to blow out. I've seen a lot of videos about monte Carlo's having these problems so I'm guessing its a common issue