Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

The Old Hazard Switch Problem, With a Twist

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 10:35 PM
1 Year Member
Default The Old Hazard Switch Problem, With a Twist

Yes the old hazard switch pain in the neck. I searched around the forum and saw many a thread talking about it but I swear my problem is different!

It started out the same as everyone else: blinkers don't work unless I mash the hazard switch, then they work sometimes. So one day my radio gets stolen and the insurance has me bring it to a shop for a replacement. While it's in the shop I ask them to replace the hazard relay switch, no biggie.

So then I get the car back and the blinkers blink twice as fast as they're supposed to. I do a visual check and I see that all four blinkers work. Now here's the kicker: when I turn on my hazard lights all four lights blink at the normal speed. Then I try the blinkers again and they go at double speed.

So I opened up the dash, saw that all the connections were (um..) connected, sprayed the electricals with some cleaner and threw it all back together. Didn't fix the problem.

All four blinker lights work, hazards flash at the normal rate, but when indicating a turn the lights blink twice as fast. Now that I think about it, I didn't check my blinker fluid level.........

Thoughts?

Old 11-22-2013, 10:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Probably the wrong/bad flasher or wornout Replace the flasher and I think your problem will disappear !

Old 11-23-2013, 02:36 PM
1 Year Member

Yeah, I picked up a new unit from Oreilly's today and put it in and everything worked fine. Maybe the old one was out of specifications or the shop used a secondhand one or something.